Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-24-2017, 03:49 PM

Dakota Jake, Come out and have more fun than Rick in Oregon says you can! This is so much fun, My son & I drive 1600 miles round trip twice a year, we leave 5/30/17 for our next trip to Northern Nevada alfalfa fields.

COME AND HAVE A BLAST

Joe
Old 05-24-2017, 04:11 PM

Hey Joe, call your guy in NV and ask him how high the crops are this year. We had so much snow here that stayed on the ground so long, the crops have really grown with all the moisture; it's already so high here we can't see the little buggers right now!

The first cut will happen earlier this year, so if he cuts soon, you'll have some spectacular shooting. Good luck with your trip, and remember, pics man, pics!
Old 05-24-2017, 05:36 PM

Rick , dad (Joe) and i are so excited to go back and get the trailer ..lol great preplan on leaving it up there. My new receiver will be here next week and soon will have all put together and be working up a load then off to Az dog towns to try her out... a 20 vt threaded for my can... gonna be quiet and fast. Can wait to see the fields in a few days... pics to follow i hope.
Dwane
Old 05-24-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Hey Joe, call your guy in NV and ask him how high the crops are this year. We had so much snow here that stayed on the ground so long, the crops have really grown with all the moisture; it's already so high here we can't see the little buggers right now!

The first cut will happen earlier this year, so if he cuts soon, you'll have some spectacular shooting. Good luck with your trip, and remember, pics man, pics!
You are right Rick, the crops have really grown this year. Kings River valley had a lot of snow this last winter also. So the fields the first week of May were almost to high for good shooting but the Rats had others eat down to bare ground so you could sit in one spot & shoot most of the day. The first cutting last year was underway the first week of May & the farmers would drag the corners so you could see them running to the fields to fed. My buddy thinks it will be the same this year,OH BOY ! Rick I want to talk with you later about my kids 20VT build.

Last edited by callcrazyaz; 05-24-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:09 AM
Supporting Member

Default Gopher shoots.....

You guys are making me almost tear up. Reminiscing about 7 trips to Wilsall, Montana with 6 of us guys. Two rifles each, rented two Suburban 4x4s and riding around pastures and fields, enjoying the sights, sounds, and smells of God's country.
Ranch and two adjoining ranches were sold to a hunting lodge developer a few years ago, so 'knowing the 13,000 acres and 'where the gates were' is in the past now. We evolved to where we took a 17 Ackley Hornet, and 'something else', often a 17 HMR. Memories!

Last edited by Alan in GA; 05-29-2017 at 02:12 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:26 AM

Sounds like fun! I have some questions - what recommendation for scope magnification? currently on my 17 Mach II and 22 LR's I have 2x7 variables - Will these work for squirrel ranges? If I were to move up to 17 HMR for longer shots what would be the optimal magnification? 3x9, 4-12, 4.5-14? Thanks, sorry for so many questions!
Old 06-03-2017, 04:31 AM

Any scope will work as will open sights. However, you are shooting at very small targets much of the time and can shoot from 25 feet to 250+ yards depending on where you are hunting. My squirrel guns mostly have 6.5-20 power scopes on 22lr, 17hmr, and 17hh. I also shoot 22lr with a 3-9 power scope and with open and peep sights. They are all fun. Don't take just one gun. I even take a hand gun. They are all fun and effective. If only took one gun for squirrels, it would be my 17hmr with 6.5-20 Vortex. It sounds strange, but on a day when I may shoot several hundred ground squirrels, I like to limit the distance that I shoot them at so as to make a humane kill. That's just me. My friends will shoot at any distance with any caliber. Burt
Old 06-03-2017, 11:00 AM
Supporting Member

Default about the 17 HMR......

I took two different CZ 452 rifles in 17 HMR (on different trips to Montana) as a second rifle to back up a 17 Ackley Hornet. I noticed it was very easy to load the box (clip) magazines for the 17 HMR. I had TWO magazines, and would have one in the rifle and the other in my shirt pocket or lap. I kept the one in my hands loaded up full and would swap magazines during any lull in the gopher wars. The follower springs in the 17HMR magazines are EASY to compress when pushing fresh rounds in, unlike the hornet clips in my CZ 17 Ack Hnt. That said, we all used Single Shot adaptors in our 17 Ack Hnts anyway.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyWerben View Post
Sounds like fun! I have some questions - what recommendation for scope magnification? currently on my 17 Mach II and 22 LR's I have 2x7 variables - Will these work for squirrel ranges? If I were to move up to 17 HMR for longer shots what would be the optimal magnification? 3x9, 4-12, 4.5-14? Thanks, sorry for so many questions!
Your current scopes will work but will be challenging out past 125-150 yards. I'd suggest something that tops out at 12-14 power. My 18-20x scopes work fine for shots out to 450 yards. The extra magnification help if you are targeting a partially hidden squirrel. Some sort of BDC reticle would be helpful. I have a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 BDC that I wouldn't hesitate to use in the squirrel fields
Old 06-03-2017, 03:37 PM

Seems there is a lot off personal preference concerning scope power. I like mine up on 18x, my buddy Dan is usually on 6x. You should be fine with 7x. My personal favorite is Leupold 4.5x14AO. In the vineyards with .17 hmr's we use 3x9's on 9x.

A lot of guys on the internet shoot 400, 500 even 1000 per day and some shoot at great distances 400, 500yds+ ! My experience in my style of shooting is 250 rounds is a good day and my shots are mostly 50 to 125 yds.

It is all fun.