Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 09-24-2016, 05:55 PM

Default LT32 and 17FB

First time poster here and I am probably reaching with this one but I was hoping someone had some experience with LT32, 25 Vmax and 17 Fireball. From everything I can tell this powder should be in the right burn rate for the 17 FB with a barrel length of 22". QL does not show LT32 so I will be figuring out fill ratio and other details myself.

Here is a description of my rifle and what I have used so far. Rifle is a Rem700 SPS Varmint that I chopped the barrel to 22", installed Timney trigger and skim bedded it in a 5R Milspec HS-Precision stock. For the first 4-5 years I ran 30 Kindler Golds with RL10X with good results but this powder was not very stable across temperature swings and I got tired of having different loads for different temps. I next switched to IMR8208 with the 30 Golds and the accuracy and stability was much better but the velocity was down 250 fps - 3340 fps. My reason for switching bullets was to go to a bullet weight that I felt was better suited to the cartridge size but I also wanted to be able to use it as a coyote rifle if the situation required it. This rifle has been used many times for first time coyote hunters trying out the sport. My reason for wanting to try LT32 is I have a 8 lb jug that I bought when it first came out and have not been able to try it out yet. If this powder does not yield good results I plan on trying IMR4198.

I appreciate the opportunity to be a member here on saubier.com. I have been a lurker here for about 9 years but was told many times on other forums that you have to know someone already on here to be able to join but obviously that was bunk. I hope I can add something to this site.

Last edited by coyotezapper; 09-24-2016 at 05:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-24-2016, 08:11 PM

They're ALL temperature and barrel temp sensitive. Worst issue I ever had was with a 'temperature stable' powder in a 22-250. Temp stable my butt when you get outside a particular window all bets are off, hockey stick pressure graph vs ambient and barrel temp instead of a predictable near linear or relatively gentle curve graph.

There's benefits and drawbacks to all powder types. Single base powders are hygroscopic, burn rate is tuned by both water and solvent content, leave it in an open dispenser for a few days and you quicken it by a significant amount if the air is dry, slows down if you are in a humid environment. Double based powders whether stick or ball are plasticized and don't have near the same hygroscopic sensitivity. Stick/tube powders can have some or most of the temp sensitivity tuned out across a temp range, but this is not the same across all cartridge capacities, designs, or bullet weights.

While ball powders will have a higher sensitivity this can be very predictable.

Loading for varminting is a bit different than competition or hunting, its best to wait a week or two before the trip and getting a more accurate prediction of what your expected conditions are going to be and load accordingly. There's a BIG difference between 85F and 5 shots in 5 minutes and 105F and a warm barrel, regardless of the powder's claimed temperature sensitivity. Sometimes its best to get used to a favorite powder and learn its quirks by shooting it in every ambient condition you can rather than choosing it for its marketed temperature stability and getting a big surprise.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:36 PM

Although I disagree with your opinion stating that ALL powders are temp sensitive, thanks for your reply but my original post was concerning the use of LT32 in general and the 25 Vmax. I would like to keep the subject matter as it relates to this.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:50 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

You have probably already seen this but Accurate/Western Powders has published load data for 17 Fireball and LT32 and the 25 Vmax.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con...2016_Web-1.pdf

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Old 09-26-2016, 03:24 AM

Yes, I saw this awhile back and I then remembered that I had some LT32 and decided to give it a try.

Thanks for the post!!
Old 05-24-2017, 10:09 PM

Finally got a morning with no wind to test LT 32 with 25 Vmax in my 17 FB. Did not chrono anything because I wanted to get the groups shot before the wind picked up. So far it looks good. Curious to see what the velocities will be.

Last edited by coyotezapper; 05-24-2017 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:13 PM

It looks like the 17.0 load looks like a winner. It should be plenty safe even in the hottest weather.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:08 PM
Supporting Member

Just checked a new burn rate chart, LT 32 now shows as a faster burn rate than Benchmark, so this is a different powder than I Tried. The one I tried was the same burn rate as 4895/8208.

Last edited by Dean2; 05-26-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Just checked a new burn rate chart, LT 32 now shows as a faster burn rate than Benchmark, so this is a different powder than I Tried. The one I tried was the same burn rate as 4895/8208.

Are you saying that Accurate changed the powder burn rate or has just changed where it is on the chart?

I bought this powder when it first came out so I am thinking 2011????
Old 05-27-2017, 04:10 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotezapper View Post
Are you saying that Accurate changed the powder burn rate or has just changed where it is on the chart?

I bought this powder when it first came out so I am thinking 2011????
Don't know the answer to your question. It used to show about the same burn rate as 8208, and it behaved like that burn rate when I used it. The new charts show it in the 4198 speed range, which is a whole lot faster. Whether the powder is faster burning or was on the wrong spot I can't tell but my guess based on performance was it has been sped up. I found LT 32 too slow for good speed out of a 25 grain bullet in a 17 FB. This was true of 8208 too, though both provided good accuracy. Both provided very good speed with the 30 grain bullets and worked really well in the 204 with 39 grain bullets.

I always try to find the slowest burning powder that will give me very good speed and accuracy. so in the 17 FB I use Benchmark with the 20 and 25. I find you get far more consistent velocity, better accuracy and far less barrel wear with the slower powders.

Last edited by Dean2; 05-27-2017 at 04:13 PM.