Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 01-13-2017, 09:40 PM

Looking good 595! Neat project, wish I had more time for stuff like that. I will miss the Norm J articles as well, he was always tinkering and coming up with good stuff. I know he made a few wildcats from the WSSM brass, 25 and 30 cal, IIRC.

Might have to change your username to 595/BarrelNut, hahaha!

Keep posting pics, nice to follow along.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:43 PM

I would do a chemical strip and steam the stock before refinishing. It should come out pretty nice.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:05 PM

Default stock

I was able to strip the existing finish over the weekend. I have used a product called Citristip on the last few projects and am pleased with how it works. Bought at local Wal-Mart, very safe to use.
[IMG][/IMG]

After stripping, I got the iron out and started steaming. After steaming this stock will require very little sanding to get into finishing condition. Very pleased with the results so far.

I will not begin further sanding until action gets bedded into stock. Barrel is getting ordered today, so there won't be many updates until the barrel arrives and gets chambered. I have chosen a Savage Varmint contour from Lilja. Although Fireballs are a 14 twist mainly from the factory, I am ordering a 3 groove 12 twist, 26" finished length. Will order a precision ground recoil lug today as well. Will update more when barrel arrives.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:33 PM

Default Never say never.. A savage fireball

That is looking good on the stock, will be looking forward to the finished product and your final outcome. Bill K
Old 02-14-2017, 11:01 AM

+1 on the stock, it will have some nice understated grain through it once you get the final finish on it. I am looking forward to seeing how the rifle comes together. I too was fascinated with that VHM article. We don't see many J actions down here in Australia - I have never seen one in the flesh.

Marcus
Old 02-14-2017, 01:56 PM

That came out great! Well worth the time and effort.

Your bench makes me feel like I need to make some time to clean...I can see approximately 3 square inches of my whole bench at the moment...ugh.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowfisher View Post
That came out great! Well worth the time and effort.

Your bench makes me feel like I need to make some time to clean...I can see approximately 3 square inches of my whole bench at the moment...ugh.
Thanks for the compliments on the stock. Project hit a small fork in the road last week. While waiting on the 221 Fireball barrel to show, an opportunity arose to buy a very low mileage PacNor 20 Vartarg barrel, precision ground lug, and precision nut. I needed the lug and nut anyway, so like any sensible small caliber addict I purchased the barrel package. . So now this project will be a 20 Vartarg/221 Fireball switch barrel. Waiting to get the front of the action faced then screw a barrel on and have this thing bedded. THEN sand and finish the stock.
At the risk of being BBQ'd here, I've never been enamored with the Vartarg like most have. I'm guilty of needing to be different, not necessarily a good trait. We will see if shooting one for myself changes my opinion.
Bowfish-you'd get that bench cleared quick if you'd throw a couple Beggin strips up there and let Diesel have at it!
Old 03-03-2017, 11:39 PM

Oh boy! can't wait to hear the results!
Old 03-04-2017, 11:00 AM

i finally got the front of my action faced so the barrel/lug/action surfaces are all precise. Turns out the action had a small high spot of only about .005" but nevertheless it's true now. Pictured with it are the PT&G faced bolt along with a RifleBasix SAV-2 trigger. I don't know how many of you have experience with this trigger. Let me just say that while I'm pleased with the end result (which is a very nice 1 lb.pull weight with no creep) I can't say I was totally pleased with its manufacturing quality relative to its price. For $155, not even remotely in the same league with samples I have from Jewell. I can provide more specific details if interested.
[IMG][/IMG]

Below is pic of the action with RifleBasix trigger installed along with the EGW picatinny rail and PacNor Savage Varmint contour 20 Vartarg barrel. Still waiting for the Fireball barrel. Now on to stock work!
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by M595NUT; 03-04-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:37 PM
Supporting Member

Yes sir looks like you have a real nice project there.

Tom