Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 04-04-2017, 12:47 AM

Does this guy do nice work or what!!!
Old 04-04-2017, 01:11 AM

Default Oil

Thank you guys for all the nice compliments. I've done a few of these stocks now and every once is a learning experience and each one gets a little better. About like an automotive finish...a good finish is in the time sanding and prep work.
In regards to the oil used, I stumbled upon this line of products a few years ago. I don't have experience with many of the other quality products so can't speak for their quality or usability vs. others. Biggest thing I've learned? Don't Rush the process. One coat per day following directions on can, deep rubbed in by hand. It simply takes time. I lack patience, but learned that trying to push more coats before drying simply doesn't work.

http://www.laurelmountainforge.com/products.htm

I basically use the Permalyn sealer and the dark colored Permawax. These products can be purchased direct or from Midway, Brownells, etc. In speaking with the owner of the company, he informed me the sealer is nothing more than their finish that hasn't been thinned. Therefore, I am finding it fills the pores and builds faster than their finish did. I wet sand every 3 coats with 2000 grit paper then tack cloth, then apply another coat. It takes time but I'm a sucker for oil finish. The Art's grain filler that's been around for years will be a staple in my future projects. Finally, the dark Permawax buffed after dry and polished with 0000 steel wool (thanks Tony!) finishes off the rich glow and is good for use on most any of your wood stocked "open finish" firearms.
Hope that helps.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:01 AM

Blued steel and walnut, that's what a good rig should be!
I was just cruising around doing some reading and thought I should read this thread. After the first pic of the stock, I thought I have one like that in the safe,223! Palm swell is a dead give away.
Mine had the barrel nut removed and a standard shoulder on the barrel was used instead. This was the first glitch. Oh it shoots lights out fantastic.
The second glitch was when the bolt was closed briskly the seat would release.
The guys in this shop are either Winchester or Remington and that is it. They were scared to death of it. I bought it for the tidy sum of $200 around 93.
Brought it home and tore it apart. Trigger shoe was dragging and that was the trigger issue.
With the action out of the stock it was bedded.
Got to looking and it is a 28" Hart barrel, SS, not the in the white finish they said, lol.
First batch of brass I fire formed for it, all 50 were within 1 1/4" hole @100. Doesn't sound that great I know, that was from four different guys and two of them were left handed!
Now that I know what it is, I know where there is another one.
I learned a bit this pm. Now I see it may cost me lol.
Jeff
Old 04-05-2017, 12:45 AM

595, thanks for the tips on the finish you used. I've got one that needs refinishing and I hope it comes out half as good as yours.