Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-20-2017, 05:17 PM

Default Kimber 84 Varmint.........Tell me your experience

Hey guys,
I've been kicking around getting a Kimber 84 Varmint in 204 or 22-250.

Man are there some crazy bad reviews on these out there in "google land".

Should I run away now?

Did they improve these? Were there really issues other than making sure the barrel is floated, trigger adjustments, etc. All things easily accomplished by myself to help with accuracy.

I really like the lines of these with the walnut stock and stainless fluted barrel.

Tell me about your experiences...........I've already spent 2 days reading all on Google.

Seems most of the complaints were back in 2009 and not much new info to be found.

Mostly I'm concerned with ACCURACY
Old 04-20-2017, 06:26 PM
Supporting Member

Default 84M Longmaster

Kimber has a lot of variants on the "84." Mine is an 84M Longmaster in .223. I bought it lightly used over a decade ago because it was pretty. As an added bonus, it shoots and it has a great trigger. 50 gr Blitzking, 52 and 53 grain MatchKing bullets as well as the 65 gr GameKing all shoot one hole groups. I love my Vartarg, but if I could only have one rifle, this is the one I would keep.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:41 PM
Supporting Member

Today, any factory rifle in any configuration is somewhat of a crap shoot when you buy them. I don't have any experience with the Varmint weight rifles, but I currently own 5 Kimber of New York light weight rifles, and they are all very good shooters.

Three of them are stainless Montana's in 223 Rem, 243 Win, and 257 Roberts. I also own a Stainless Classic in 308 Win and a Super America in 7MM-08. The wood on the 308 and the 7MM-08 are both incredible for the price point. The Montana's are great to look at if you like gray polymer...... Actually the Montana stocks are very well made synthetic stocks with very nice slim lines but not necessarily eye catchers....

Maybe ~12 years ago I did have an earlier 223 Rem SA and I could not get it to shoot inside an inch at 100 yards, so it went down the road. Exceptional wood on it

All that said, I wouldn't have any qualms about buying another one if the "need" arises........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 04-20-2017, 10:33 PM

Screaminweasel,

Having had experience with both Kimber Varmint models and Cooper Varminters I believe there is a better chance of having a good shooter and less drama by going with a Cooper Varmint model. Seeing you are in eastern Oregon I am guessing your primary targets will be ground squirrels and the occasional coyote, if that is so then go with the 204, it is easier to spot your hits/misses. And it is easier on barrels than the 22/250 unless you run it hot and heavy.

drover
Old 04-21-2017, 12:13 PM
Supporting Member

I too love my Coopers and they guarantee 1/2 groups, and all of mine would meet that.
My one Kimber varmint 204 is super accurate. Also the perfect combo of easy carry but barrel heavy enough to see your hits( and misses!) in 204 . All in an attractive package.

I think the knock on Kimbers accuracy relates to the pencil barrels. And I've lost at Kimber roulette on those more than once.

Good luck on your decision.
Larry
Old 04-21-2017, 12:45 PM
Supporting Member

I purchased a Kimber 84M in '09 or so in 204. I had problems with accuracy and copper fouling for approx. 200 rounds. I then switched from V-max to sierra bullets and both problems disappeared. It is not as consistently accurate as my 20 VT in a Cooper 38 but still shoots 1/2" plus or minus. I have a Kimber montana in 243 that at the present time shoots "minute of deer" but is a pleasure to carry. Both of these guns fit me well and the triggers are good.