Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2017, 08:34 PM

Default Rosebud prairie dog shooting

Hey all Has anyone lately been to Rosebud SD. prairie dog shooting? Thanks sgtg out
Old 05-22-2017, 09:18 PM
Supporting Member

96-97 was the last time I was there............It used to be great shooting but went to hell in a hand basket. Too many people took to varmint shooting and then some figured out how to capitalize on it. I won't go back there, Too many places out there that don't require a "guide" and no or next to nothing license fees to shoot sod rats. Just my 2 cents
Old 05-22-2017, 10:35 PM

Same here. Last time I was there in 2001, our "guide" slept in his truck most of the time, and then without any notice or indication of such, he just took off in a cloud of dust for destination unknown and left us out there.

During that trip I realized that we've got much better shooting here on ground squirrels, not as blazin' hot, no cactus to deal with, and better scenery to boot. Did I mention much, much cheaper too?
Old 05-23-2017, 02:04 PM

Default pdogs

My happy hunting ground in Vernal Utah is about gone, the rancher figured out how to gas them (pdogs) and has been real effective.

Rick in Oregon; I have shot squirrels from outside of Boise to nearly Ontario Oregon and they are a ton of fun.

I guess now my best bet is Eastern Wyoming, long ways to go but hey I'm going into withdrawals.

Thanks guys for the replies. sgtg out
Old 05-23-2017, 11:29 PM

Default Rosebud

I drive by the Res all the time on my way to Pierre, SD. I don't think the shooting as good as it was years ago, but there are more dogs along the road in the last couple years than during the drought for sure. Lots of dogs along the interstate south of Buffalo WY and I am sure there are pockets of good shooting all over Eastern WY.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:27 AM

Default rosebud

like Rick, I do a lot a sage rat shooting, for me mostly in NV., but I am hoping to go PD shooting later this year. don't have a place picked out yet. might just start driving and see what happens. Rosebud is on my list of options
Old 05-24-2017, 01:39 AM

Default Pdogs

I personally would stay away from the reservation's, but that's just me. I grew up on one so had my fill of tribal problems in life. Should be plenty of good shooting in eastern WY if a guy does his homework.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:19 PM

A couple of years ago, the reservation was going to lead-free bullets only. Has that changed or are they back to allowing lead bullets?

Last edited by TinMan; 05-24-2017 at 04:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-24-2017, 12:36 PM
Supporting Member

If you're not from the area and you don't "know your way around", so to speak, the Rosebud would be the last place I'd want to go to shoot PD's.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 05-24-2017, 05:01 PM

Default Rose bud PDs

I shot there Mon and Tues this week.
I had shot there multiple times per year in the 90s and in to 2000s. In those days, you buy a license, I believe $27 , and hunt any where on the Res. The shooting was terrific. I went with a couple sodak guys that knew where to go.

Those days are history.

This weeks hunt was no where near as good, and it cost a lot and it required a guide. The guide just takes you to the shooting area and sits in his truck. But honestly I would rather he do that than be leaning over my shoulder. He does not add any value other than show you a place to shoot. I am not sure what else he could do.

You can't blame the tribe for making $$ on the pests. They now get $75 for the license and then you pay a guide. Its capitalism.