Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-12-2019, 12:36 PM

Double D.....great video!!!! I could watch video's like that daily!!!
Old 11-12-2019, 12:46 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
The big trouble out here in the high country hills with game that's
dead on their feet and not down.
IS: They usually run to the bottom of the steepest damned gully in miles
to die.

Then you have to pack 'em out of that nasty hole.
I've had quite a few "experience's" with such doings.

Good for Greg. Hope he like's horn soup! Looks like there's plenty to make
it with.

Thanks for sharing Doug, or trying at least. Time to go get yours soon.

Good post, George........

All you need is one of the "Been There - Done That" t-shirts when it comes to hauling an elk (always UP..!!) out of a bad place. Putting them down where they are convenient to deal with is a good thing if its possible. The expense of one extra well place bullet/cartridge is minor compared to the job of hauling an elk out of thick brush or steep terrain where they seem to like to go to die.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 11-12-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:28 PM
Supporting Member

Man you got that right.
I'll regail you guys with an actual tail of woe some old boy experienced with my help that was a terrible looking mess as I left the site of the crime.
I was deer hunting and already had an elk in the freezer so elk was off the table.
I was sitting in a perfect wind situation, on one side of a saddle where all the deer and elk crossed through going from one valley to the other, I'd popped a fair number of deer and elk there over the years.
As I was hunting deer only I was packing an extremely accurate .22-250.
I'd been where I was since before legal shooting light as you had to be at that place and I was just enjoying watching stuff walk through.
After a bit I heard some shooting below me on the left side of the saddle and down in the bowl on that side. Pretty soon a brush head bull elk comes up up from my left and then dropped all the way down to the bottom of the narrow canyon on my right and then came up the other side till he was about straight across from me and nestled into some scrub and laid down in that scrub. I could see him cause I was watching him but he'd a been hard to spot otherwise. He was dangling one rear leg and unprovoked he was probably laying where he was gonna return to dust from whence he'd come.

I continued to wait figuring the barrage below might run some deer up and trough that saddle. About half hour later some overweight ole guy who was wheezing like a steam engine and his face was fire-engine red comes crashing up the hill right through the saddle I was watching. I spoke so he didn't think I was his wounded elk. and he comes over to me and gasping for air asks if I'd seen a wounded bull come through this saddle.
I told him I had and told him in fact I was looking at him right now.
To cut to the chase, after about 5 minutes of trying to get this near blind, near heart-attack victim to see this elk that is laying there bleeding out this guy says "Could you shoot him from here?" I said yes so he asks would ya? I felt bad for the elk so I say's ok.
I assumed the prone position with my .22-250 on my day pack and after figuring the breeze a bit I drew a bead just slightly in front of his left ear and slowly squeezed the trigger. A half second later ya hear the "WHUPP" of a bullet striking something solid and the bull slid down about 20 feet, deader'n fried chicken! Mr. gonna have a heart attack saw him at that point.
I figured my hunting spot was compromised to put it lightly so I start packing up to boogie. At that point Mr. fixing to have a heart-attack says, "ya don't suppose?" At which point I cut him off with a quick "Jake down the bottom of the hill has horses and outfits and he can help ya for a price". Have a nice day and I was outta there.
The first time you walk up and see a dead bull laying there on the side of a steep hill ya gotta go down so you can then go up the other side and finally go down a few miles that elk looks like an elephant , them suckers er big. BCB gives good advise, do just like Greg Tannel did, use another bullet.
Just my opinion. I've seen em go down, ya know that they are done for and then from somewhere they seem to get a burst of adrenaline and up they hop to make your life a living hell going to fetch em .
Just my 2cents .
Old 11-12-2019, 11:18 PM
Supporting Member

I learned my lesson while I was in HS with the aid of a 4X4 Muley buck. I was by myself and I shot him on a flat area at the end of a corn field early on a Saturday morning from 150-200 yards away. He walked a short way and about the time he looked like he was going to tip over, he came to life........

He suddenly jumped in the air and ran straight away from me for maybe 40 yards which was the top of a very steep canyon just off the corn field. Down he went and he plowed snow for probably 300 yards on a steep north facing slope before coming to rest against a tree on a very steep part of the slope near the bottom of the canyon. To call it a draw is an understatement. To gut him I had to drag him another maybe 40 yards to the bottom of the canyon to find relatively flat ground with less snow.

By the time I got him gutted and quartered and all 4 quarters back to my car it was late afternoon approaching dark city. That was with me moving my car as close as possible after getting to it with the first quarter. And I was a young 17 year old invincible stud who was totally pooped.

If that Muley buck had died where he was supposed to, it would have been a 15 minute walk back to my car and a short drive up a road along the field and maybe a 200 yard drag to my car. All totaling maybe an hour of time if I wasn't in a hurry.

Ever since then any animal that might walk a ways in uneven terrain even though he and I both know that he's dead deserves another round to keep him on level ground. Greg very well may have done himself and the outfitter a huge favor with the second shot based on the terrain in the first video.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 11-13-2019, 04:47 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Yep!

I shot as big a muley buck as I've ever seen on a gentle down slope about
200 yards from the car.
He ran over the hill a bit over a 1/4 mile down as steep a slope as you've ever seen.

It took three of us over 5 hours to get him up to the ridge. Then not over 15 minutes drag to the car. Think I was 17, other two guys weren't over 25. All healthy as mules. Thing is, that was "just a buck", not a big old stinking bull.

Thing I really enjoyed about packing elk out was Dad always took at least two horse's along. Much of the area we hunted elk in, we could drive to, or get lots closer at least. I spent 5 summers on the same ranch and we blasted lots of rocks and some tree's out of the way so we could drive even closer. Though several of the areas were a couple to 8 miles further back in yet.

A few years later Uncle Sam's smarter than us boys decided that would make a dandy: Mineral Creek Wilderness Area. Right up to Orin's fence. He couldn't even go get firewood, first thing the forest service did was blow his headgate out so he couldn't irrigate the upper field either. Best thing Orin ever did in his life was Sell the place and move to the low country.

Looking at the ranch recently on G/earth it's mostly dirt and pr/dog holes in the beautiful meadow. I heard the forest service denied the new rancher grazing permits, then a mining company bought out the water rights. Not much anyone can do on 200 acres without grazing permits or water for the hay. Hope they walked away from it and let the bank have the problems.

Orin sold it for $240,000, cash deal. 52 cow/calf pair and three bulls. Check that country out to see where we hunted the creek bottom to the divide, and hills to the SW, Dry Lake we killed quite a few elk in. Dad even walked up on a bear eating on a dead cow elk one evening. Lovely country, even nicer when it was ranched with water to spare.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"