Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 03-05-2022, 03:25 AM

Default Bridget’s first deer

Nice Columbia Blacktail

Got him just after legal light the second day this year. I heard a buck grunting behind out blind just at legal light. I hit the Can Call three times and told Bridget to be ready because we don’t know if he is right behind our blind or if he is 200 yards away. Called another guy that I was helping who was set up about 400 yards from us and told him that a buck is right behind us to pay attention he might show up in front of him. Before I hung up Bridget was already on him and whispered to me to cock her gun.

Boom done.

Last edited by JDHasty; 03-05-2022 at 03:28 AM.
Old 03-05-2022, 04:50 PM

Very nice and well done young lady. Congradulations. By the way what is her firearm ? looks like a H&R.

Last edited by Bill K; 03-05-2022 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-06-2022, 12:47 AM

H&R USH 20 Ga

I had ordered a Ruger 11165 and waited a year for it. When it came in I saw the USH on the rack as soon as I walked through the door of the shop. They had gone into the stratosphere price wise by then, but the owner gave it to me for $300. She absolutely loves it and doesn’t want a barrel for her Encore and to hand it down. So I think I will cut down a stock for the little kids for the Encore and have a Boyd’s camo laminate butt stock sitting here to cut and put pad on for the USH. I have the original stock in the safe and she is going to need it in a couple years.

She has her eye on the 11165 too, and will probably be calling it hers before long. I don’t really care, it’s all about the kids.
Old 03-06-2022, 12:53 AM

I don’t know about other species, but blacktail bucks are suckers for the Primos Can Call. I’ve never cold called one with it, but if they are in the rut and close they get plumb stupid. This one ran out in front of our blind at a sprint and then stopped and started looking around for a doe.

I’ve used it to draw a couple decent bucks out for myself over the years. I knew they were there and two or three tips and they came running.
Old 03-06-2022, 04:36 AM

We like slug guns and where we hunt we have no other option except straight wall cartridge hand gun, archery or black powder. I use all of them, but the kids just shotguns. I really don’t care for buckshot.

They shoot really well if kept clean. This is three shots from an Ithaca DSII at fifty yards. The H&R USH will do that too, but only after a trigger job. We generally use Lightfield Hybred Elites, but only have about twenty boxes and they are discontinued.

Actually our smooth bore Ithaca Deerslayers are plenty accurate for deer with Remington Sluggers out to a hundred twenty yards. They shoot about inch and a half groups at 50 yards if kept clean.

[/b]
Old 04-01-2022, 03:38 AM

Congrats!!! Very nicely done