Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 03-04-2022, 04:43 PM

Default Anyone done a 1:9 twist 221 Fireball?

I have an Eagleview kit and a new 1:9 Howa 223 takeoff barrel sitting here.

I'm thinking that for my big project next winter I am going to use the new take off 223 1:9 barrel from the Howa 20 Practical project project on.

I could make it 22 Donaldson Wasp, but dies can get real expensive real fast for that one. Maybe I should go with a 221 Fireball or a 221 Rimmed and use 357 Max cases by annealing them and then sending them into my 22 Jet die first before finishing them up in the 221 die and trim and anneal the necks again.

I much prefer rimmed cases in Contenders.
Old 03-04-2022, 06:40 PM

You might want to check on the availability of 357 Max cases. I understand that they can be hard to find. If you already have the cases then disregard this note.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 03-04-2022, 07:16 PM

Bellm's TC, often has 357 max brass for sale. Check them out and see if you need some.
Old 03-04-2022, 10:08 PM

That I will do. If I don't have 500 on hand before dropping the puck, the game is off until that happens. We have about 150 sitting here.
Old 03-05-2022, 02:21 PM
Supporting Member

I think last year a guy from Iowa wanted to make 17 Jet brass so bought 500 rounds from Graf & Sons and they still had more but looks like it’s gone now.

It is on BO right now at starline and many times if it’s on back order I normally received it very quickly… almost like it was in stock!

The rimmed 221 FB will be awesome! And very cheap to do if your barrel already has they tumbles chamber. I was very close to doing this on my 222 TCR barrel but couldn’t bring myself to do it since they are no longer made. Good luck!
Old 03-06-2022, 01:05 AM

I have a plastic fantastic Contender stock set and the foreend has been modified for hanger bar by Steve Stratton. I have been thinking about something super light weight would be nice. I sometimes will go on a long hike along a ridge and get a few shots at chucks along the way. We have made a few barrel stubs out of crap Contender barrels in the past, I’ve had this Eagle view kit for five years and not got round to doing anything with it.
Old 03-09-2022, 02:33 PM

Default 221 rimmed

360 Wesson brass would work better for your project (little to no trimming). Available at Star Brass. I use a 30 Mauser, than 256 Win, than 221 FB to make a rimmed 20 Vartarg. Think the 22 Jet sized brass would shorten when fire forming. Oh, if you could locate 221 form dies, they would work too. Good luck with your project. nvtoy
Old 03-09-2022, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvtoy View Post
360 Wesson brass would work better for your project (little to no trimming). Available at Star Brass. I use a 30 Mauser, than 256 Win, than 221 FB to make a rimmed 20 Vartarg. Think the 22 Jet sized brass would shorten when fire forming. Oh, if you could locate 221 form dies, they would work too. Good luck with your project. nvtoy
I would just use the 22 Jet die to get it started down and then anneal it and run it into the 221 Fireball die. I did something for another guy a while back and that made a big difference.

I will look into using 360 brass.
Old 03-09-2022, 05:12 PM
Supporting Member

They use to be a really good guy post here by the name of Bill West, I think he went from 35-22 caliber using a 222 die in one pass. I’ve never tried it, I have eight home made bushings and die bodies and don’t mind the case forming process
Old 03-09-2022, 06:41 PM

I run .556 to 17 Rem in a single pass then anneal, square up the case mouth and neck turn them. Other guys have tried to replicate that only to end up with a bunch of scrap brass.

I have guys show up at my place fairly frequently who are really frustrated. We have always been able to get something going that will work.

Sometimes necking down goes slicker than owl crap, other times not so much. My 22 Jet die has been a Godsend quite a few times. I used it recently to get some 30-06 brass started into a 257 R on the way down to 6mm Rem.

I have a Bullberry double end die that gets used from time to time on the smaller stuff, the real game changer has been the Redding S die and a few bushings.

I don't mind converting brass form one caliber to another, some people seem to really have a real aversion to doing it.

Imperial sizing die wax is your case forming friend is one thing I have found to be a universal.