Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 01-29-2020, 07:37 PM

Default .172 Cast Bullets, in case you didn't know.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/product-category/172
Old 01-29-2020, 07:48 PM
Supporting Member

Daryl they have been around for several years, the 32gr was the first one. Al has a 20 cal designed but too busy to support it now. I've asked several times to bring it out. Other members should call NOE, ask for Al and put your request for 20 cal molds if you're interested.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
Silly question but where are people finding sizers and lubricators for .172 cast bullets? Looks like they are no longer available on Noe’s site.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 01-30-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in Illinois View Post
Silly question but where are people finding sizers and lubricators for .172 cast bullets? Looks like they are no longer available on Noe’s site.
And I don't suppose there are base cups for them either, right ?
Old 01-30-2020, 02:34 PM
Supporting Member

Noe makes a push thru sizing die. They also sell gas checks made by Larry Blackmon the bullet swage die maker. His gas checks are the equal to Hornady. Noe also makes an adapter that fit's in a Star sizer. These dies just size, you have to lube separate.

Last edited by ray h; 01-30-2020 at 02:36 PM. Reason: mis spelled word
Old 01-30-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Noe makes a push thru sizing die. They also sell gas checks made by Larry Blackmon the bullet swage die maker. His gas checks are the equal to Hornady. Noe also makes an adapter that fit's in a Star sizer. These dies just size, you have to lube separate.
Thanks Ray. Good to know that information. Bill K
Old 02-01-2020, 05:09 AM

Default early bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
Yep, knew about them quite early. Pestering and grumbling by me and others perhaps made the 32gr happen. It is a damn good mold, flies straight even with an imperfect base, hits like a tiny sledgehammer. If the quality was better I would stock up on them from Reeds, my batch was some of the first so perhaps some of the kinks weren't worked out yet. The lighter NOE molds have a provision for a gas check, I do not recall seeing anyone fitting a gc to the 32gr.

The Reeds 32gr NOE's come in at 33.4gr for almost pure lead, and proably right on 32gr and a smidgen for the standard cast wheel weight lead.

Do any of you have these 32 grainers loaded up in say a .17Hornet?

Here is one in a .17vha:

17VHA AI32gcast 1.2GR700X

1.2g700x32,9NOE point blank through 414 sheets of newsprint, approximately 1.125" of paper:

The nearly pure lead ones are particularly effective due to the nice expansion, despite no hollow point. :
Old 02-01-2020, 01:49 PM
Supporting Member

17tbs, How does the bullet nose fit the throat. Is it engraved?
Old 02-02-2020, 05:21 AM

It rides the lands just barely depending on what your barrel maker did, up until just ahead of the first grease groove, this is just behind the center of mass indicated by the red in the diagram from N.O.E., below.

It actually is so close to riding the lands that it won't wobble if I stick it into the muzzle of the bore nose first. No real engraving pressure or evidence of it fully engaging the lands exists except that it is difficult to twist one of these in the muzzle inserted nose first. Someone really did a great job designing this mold.

Last edited by 17tbs; 04-10-2021 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:41 PM
Supporting Member

17tbs, thanks for the info. I would have bet good money my 32 gr was gas checked so dug it out, it's plain base like yours. I also dug out the 27 gr mold and it's gas checked. I built a new casting bench last year but the first time I fluxed the pot it set off the smoke detector. I need to come up with a way to vent the bench to the outside before I can start casting. I made up 10 lb of a 20-1 alloy, what do you think? What are you using for lube?