Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 06-01-2013, 07:10 PM

Great Video and good shooting. Bet you enjoy that cooper 221. Groundhog hunting is my favorite by far. 20 Vartarg is ready to snipe some Groundpigs here in South West VA.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:06 AM
Supporting Member

Default Nice Shooting

Hey Allan,
I'm curious where in SE Pa you are?
Stan
Old 06-02-2013, 04:40 AM

ARW
Just picked up another 788 this one in 22-250. I now have three a .223/5.56, a 22-250, and a 6x47 Rem. Wouldn't trade any of the three for any other cf, they are that good.

Stephen Perry
Old 06-02-2013, 05:00 AM

ARW: Great story, I really enjoyed it. That will always be special memory for the two of you to relive and enjoy. I haven`t got to go chase any Ground Hogs in several years, but might just try going down to Joplin Mo and try my luck. My Wife has some relatives that live in that area. If you ever get a chance to go Rock Chuck hunting don`t pass it up, you hunt them on rocky out croppings in the mountains. That would make a great trip for you and your Son.
ken
Old 06-02-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillySniper View Post
Great Video and good shooting. Bet you enjoy that cooper 221. Groundhog hunting is my favorite by far. 20 Vartarg is ready to snipe some Groundpigs here in South West VA.

Thanks HillbillySniper, yes I really like the 221 it's a fun little cartridge and I appreciate that it looks like a Cooper, but actually it is a CZ 527 with a Lilja barrel. I have always liked the Cooper rifles but because of the $ I could never convince the boss (my wife) I needed one, lol. They sure are beautiful rifles though.

I have heard nothing but good things about the 20 Vartarg, it sounds like a real good one for groundhogs. Good luck with those Va. chucks!

Alan
Old 06-02-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan from Pa. View Post
Hey Allan,
I'm curious where in SE Pa you are?
Stan
Stan,

I am in the southern part of York county, about 5 mins. from the Md.- Pa, line. Between Delta and Fawn-Grove, if you would happen to know the area that well.

This area at one time was over run with groundhogs, but between my dad, my son and myself we have thinned them down pretty good. The farmers sure love do appreciate it too. It is unreal the damage just a few groundhogs can do to a soy-bean field.

Alan
Old 06-02-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen perry 1 View Post
ARW
Just picked up another 788 this one in 22-250. I now have three a .223/5.56, a 22-250, and a 6x47 Rem. Wouldn't trade any of the three for any other cf, they are that good.

Stephen Perry
Stephen,

Oh man! The 788, sure brings back memories. I had three of them (bought new) back in the 70's, still kicking myself for letting them go. They may not have been the best looking rifles in the rack but man were they ever accurate!

I agree, hang on to them!

Alan
Old 06-02-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt-t View Post
ARW: Great story, I really enjoyed it. That will always be special memory for the two of you to relive and enjoy. I haven`t got to go chase any Ground Hogs in several years, but might just try going down to Joplin Mo and try my luck. My Wife has some relatives that live in that area. If you ever get a chance to go Rock Chuck hunting don`t pass it up, you hunt them on rocky out croppings in the mountains. That would make a great trip for you and your Son.
ken
Thanks Ken, I am glad you liked it.

That Rock Chuck hunting really sounds interesting, my wheels are turning. The scenery alone would be worth the trip.

Good luck in Joplin if you get to go, let us know how you do.

Alan