Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 05-21-2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwishooter View Post
Please tell me why things should be kept flexible, I would have thought that solidly mounted presses would be a necessity........then again I'm probably reading your post wrong.....Kiwi
Primarily I'm speaking in terms of growth. One press becomes two etc. A solid mount is good but it only needs to enough to counter the load. The press itself has to be solid, as mounting doesn't make up for a loose press.

For me, my scales are dictating my layout. I have to be able to reach them from whichever press during every single core squirt.

Next is access to jackets and cores either side of the press. I'm not using a core loading tray, I'm stuffing each core into each jacket and then core seating. Do that a thousand times and reaching an extra 6" in either direction is noticeable. Then try screwing out the ounch every single stroke because you've exceeded the press's stroke length. You have to keep you body weight close to the press, so a certain amount of reaching is inenvitable.

I know Gary likes his one-arm-bandit swivel high chair, but I'm still doing all of mine standing. You need a good workshop mat or I use pair of thick soft single/double 'pluggers' (thongs) to beat the concrete floor.

This all gets sorted out during the teething stages, so give yourself couple of months before you start chemsetting everything into the concrete slab.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:46 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Melgaard View Post
Hi Ian,

Get your self some of the RCBS sidewinder Tumblers you should be able to get from Sinclair's Int. $84.99 US$ get three of them. I use one for each core lube, jacket lube, and another one for adding lube after core seating, they are multi-flat side and work fantastic for lubing. I use them on the Thumblers rotary tumbler.

Ken Melgaard
In Australia
Gidday Ken it's good to see you over here, thanks for the tip. I assume you spread the lube inside the drums and clean them in between each use?
What do you use for lube for each process?

Will you be at the NSW Champs in August?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronraad View Post
Primarily I'm speaking in terms of growth. One press becomes two etc. A solid mount is good but it only needs to enough to counter the load. The press itself has to be solid, as mounting doesn't make up for a loose press.

For me, my scales are dictating my layout. I have to be able to reach them from whichever press during every single core squirt.

Next is access to jackets and cores either side of the press. I'm not using a core loading tray, I'm stuffing each core into each jacket and then core seating. Do that a thousand times and reaching an extra 6" in either direction is noticeable. Then try screwing out the ounch every single stroke because you've exceeded the press's stroke length. You have to keep you body weight close to the press, so a certain amount of reaching is inenvitable.

I know Gary likes his one-arm-bandit swivel high chair, but I'm still doing all of mine standing. You need a good workshop mat or I use pair of thick soft single/double 'pluggers' (thongs) to beat the concrete floor.

This all gets sorted out during the teething stages, so give yourself couple of months before you start chemsetting everything into the concrete slab.
Aaron I know what you mean about concrete floors I've walked around on them for years, standing in one place on concrete floors isn't much fun, even some of the non fatigue mats aren't nice to work on.

Now I get what you mean about flexibility, my setup is going to have to be flexible because I'm not going to have the final work area ready until a retaining wall is built and the basement is dug out (approx. 50cu meters).......Ian

Last edited by Kiwishooter; 05-21-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwishooter View Post

Now I get what you mean about flexibility, my setup is going to have to be flexible because I'm not going to have the final work area ready until a retaining wall is built and the basement is dug out (approx. 50cu meters).......Ian
Don't forget the classic...go to brace bench for swaging against garage wall and think stud finder is faulty. Stud finder working perfectly, it's just that the studs were faulty. Termites had eaten 3.5 out of the 4 garage walls. Who builds a house without treated framework etc? Lost another 3 months for start-up and $4,000 in repairs...but bullet swaging saved my house.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:04 PM

aaron
Considering buying 3 Lee Classic presses. Looking for a steel top Bench at least 4x8 for the presses and have space for a Wilton. I already have a bullet making cube with 3 RCBS presses I use for my Simonson 6 bullet making dies. I want seperate presses for my 22 dies Rorschach and Bahler. What say Aaron.

Stephen Perry

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 05-25-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen perry 1 View Post
aaron
Considering buying 3 Lee Classic presses. Looking for a steel top Bench at least 4x8 for the presses and have space for a Wilton. I already have a bullet making cube with 3 RCBS presses I use for my Simonson 6 bullet making dies. I want seperate presses for my 22 dies Rorschach and Bahler. What say Aaron.

Stephen Perry
Jealous!

Pity you can't get the roller handle upgrade for the Classic Cast, but more than likely not required with .224 cal swaging.

I'll be interested to see how you mount the Lee's. I need the inspiration to get mine out of the straight up-and-down reloading mount position.

4x8' of bench space should heaps. I do prefer to keep my benches not much deeper than my gorilla arms, but it's not an issue if you have access to all sides.

Please excuse my ignorance, but is the Wilton a bench vise of sorts?

What's the motivation behind different presses for the two dies sets? All my funds are being blown on punches at the moment.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:11 AM

Default Lee Classic press

Good luck every place I've looked they are on back order.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:02 PM

Default Bullet Making Presses

Oleman
I can wait on presses, my A2 and both my 2 older RCBS Rockchucker presses handlemy bullet making better than I can right now. Better comes to better I will get me 2 more Pacific custom deluxe presses to go along with the one I have and make 22 bullets on those.

Aaron
Wilton vises are well known in the states. I have several smaller ones but want a machist model for my steel top bench complete with jams. Aaron I want a steel top bench that I can access all 4 sides sturdy enough for bullet making and general gunsmithing. Probably go with 4x4 hardwood legs unless I can find a machinist steel bench, mucho grande heavy. I have a GMC 3/4 rated 8 ft bed truck when I need to move the bench along with a 2 ton floor jack and hoist. Like that handle for the Lee Classic.

Stephen Perry

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 05-27-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:56 PM

Dillon makes an optional handle for their 550 and 650 progressive presses reloading presses that looks like that also.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleman View Post
Good luck every place I've looked they are on back order.
Sounds like a business opportunity. No wonder there is no stock at only $30 each.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:34 PM

Default Aaron & Kiwi

O presses are desireable for bullet making but in earlier days massive C presses were used. I have a Pacific Custom Deluxe C press that could be converted for bullet making maybe just a point up press, Herters also along with some with minor names in the industry Hollywood and Baer are a few names.

Any C presses used down-under you know of.

Stephen Perry