Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 05-31-2013, 05:34 AM

I've seen a couple of the C-frame presses around at the Brisbane/Qld gun shows. Most of them are in poor condition. I did see some massive O-frame presses in Tom Turnton's workshop last year. I thought they were O-frame anyway. Had to be twice the size and thickness of a Lee Classic Cast with a 1.5" piece of steel pipe slotted over the flat handles for a grip. I'll have to find out what they were.

I'm not sure if 'gun show' translates quite the same into American. In Australia it means, buy a few tables at an indoor hall and fill it full of old Enfield parts that you trudged out for the past 10 years. Some of the shows are getting better, but it's not much better than a garage sale.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:42 AM

Aaron
My first smith Harvey Miller started making bullets back in 1977 using Detsch 22 and 6 dies. He was using a C press not sure which. I'm guessing a Hollywood press. Hollywood was a massive press and since Harvey was a California smith and Hollywood also a California company made top quality gear Harvey dealt with home grown products local to him.

After dinner Harvey would slip into his shop and try to make bullets. Not sure he knew was what he was doing I watched him boil over making bullets, think I learned his frustration and added some words that got me in trouble with my co-workers later. All this frustration to make small pieces that Harvey called gold nuggets. At this time Harvey was a Remington bullet distributor of their top cabin benchrest bullets. He said he could make better bullets than the Remington bullets he sold his customers. Being in benchrest almost from the beginning of the NBRSA Harvey had most everybodys bullets.

Harvey was a SW NBRSA Director for a long time and the first to an agg under a .2, his longtime NBRSA record agg was .1629. The man in my small mind was my first bullet making guru not sure he knew what he was doing. Had to laugh to myself what a man with a million of the best bullets others could make was doing knowing he could make more money smithing benchrest rifles.

Stephen Perry

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 05-31-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:37 PM

Default George Ulrich,

George, you have a PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:28 PM
Supporting Member

got it thanks,and sent one back...george