Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-24-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEM View Post
To someone who uses bushing dies

I have avoided until now using bushing dies, To order the correct size you final size the case and then measure the OD of the neck then -.002 that would be how I understand it. But in real world use sometimes suggested does not always apply. I am sizing for a 7mm TCU, surprisingly Starline basic 223 brass is so uniform that 2 in 50 varied only.0005 my neck OD is .303 to .3035 so I went looking for .301 good luck with that... found .300 and .302

I shoot mostly FB bullets, before annealing had to lay on the press to seat them after smooth as butter

So my Question, Do I special order a .301 or chance a loose .302 or tough up and get a .300
The "correct" bushing size is usually 0.002 to 0.003" under the loaded round neck diameter, as opposed to the re-sized neck diameter (red above) without a seated bullet . . . perhaps I misunderstand. (??) RG
Old 11-24-2018, 07:00 PM

If you dont turn then the imperfections are pushed to the inside, I think it's not a one size fits all whether you use a expander or not.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Sherm View Post
If you don't turn then the imperfections are pushed to the inside, I think it's not a one size fits all whether you use a expander or not.
I know some that don't turn and don't use the expander button with their bushing dies but instead use a specific size K&M mandrel as their final step. It not only pushes the any imperfections back out but also is supposed to ensure a straighter neck. I run all my new brass through a K&M mandrel when they are new out of the box but I don't have specific size mandrels. I've thought about trying this approach though.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:51 PM

No expanders here on anything, turned or unturned. All dies are Redding bushing dies. New brass gets run through a 21st Century turning mandrel.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Do you need to lube the neck with the uncoated steel bushing
Yes... well, probably. I use moly powder for neck sizing and I don't super polish my brass. So after a few reloads there is enough moly and carbon coated on the brass that I don't have to add more to size the neck again. If your brass is new or very clean then you will want some kind of lube. Sometimes with new brass I'll lube every third case. I think even the carbide pistol dies work better with at least a little lube.

Also, I re-read your first post and like others have said you need to measure loaded rounds to select a bushing. DittoHead posted some links to good info. The idea is after sizing you want to end up with a neck that has an ID around 0.001-0.002" smaller than a bullet. If it's larger than this it won't hold the bullet, and if it's significantly smaller then you might have trouble seating a bullet, particularly flat base types. You can go a bit smaller than this and use an expander to open it back up to the number you want, or you can try to hit the dimension you want with the bushing alone.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:32 PM

Who needs bushing dies when Lee makes collet neck dies.

Seriously though, i wish lee made them in all calibers.

Sure does make a difference in loading straight ammo. Bushings are for the birds and I avoid them when I have the choice of a lee collet neck die.

I guess that's for another thread though.

As far as using an expander with a bushing die, seems a little wonky.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:02 PM

Wnoky is what we do......I do use Lee collet dies when I can, I've just seen so much hoopla about bushing dies and found a real DEAL BF sale don't you know, and thought I would try them of course I HAD to get both a FL and neck only bushing die, wont even get them until next week, I do wish this affliction would stop one day, now I am ordering a 219 wasp barrel also a BF sale
Old 11-25-2018, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Wnoky is what we do......I do use Lee collet dies when I can, I've just seen so much hoopla about bushing dies and found a real DEAL BF sale don't you know, and thought I would try them of course I HAD to get both a FL and neck only bushing die, wont even get them until next week, I do wish this affliction would stop one day, now I am ordering a 219 wasp barrel also a BF sale

I hear ya............the struggle is real.

I ordered 2,000 rounds of 17 WSM AE 20gr Vmax for $9.25 a box (Shipping included).

A leupold VX Freedom 2-7 Rimfire MOA scope

And 2,000 Pieces of Virgin Remington 22 Hornet brass

Black Friday got the best of me
Old 11-25-2018, 02:52 AM

WOW nice score on the Remington brass that ought to last you a while