Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-20-2020, 07:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter
Default lets talk bullets

in particular your experience with mfg seconds. I my self had a bad experience with sierra seconds but a good one with nosler.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:22 PM

Same here...the Nosler seconds or "Blems" are cosmetic only...no "physical" defects, just discoloration in the jacket. The sierra seconds or blems are EVERYTHING...mis-formed jackets, tips smashed, tips missing...end up culling about 30% or more and not really having faith in the other 70%. No more sierra but the Nosler blems are great.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:51 PM

Over the years, I have bought and used a bunch of Sierra seconds. I would agree that the tipped seconds were a real mess, quality wise, tips missing, tips mashed, malformed, etc. To me, the Sierra SP and HP seconds have been great, a very good value, since they were purchased by weight, not by count.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:32 PM

Must say that is the chance you take by buying seconds, but with that said, I have and do buy some, from various makers and they have all served well for general shooting at varmint. Now for precise target shooting, just buy the top line one's and enjoy. Bill K
Old 02-20-2020, 02:53 PM

I am still using from a bunch of Nosler 50GR SP .224s. I looked carefully and found no defects. I have shot a number of gongs and sage rats with them.
Bill
Old 02-20-2020, 03:18 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Must say that is the chance you take by buying seconds, but with that said, I have and do buy some, from various makers and they have all served well for general shooting at varmint. Now for precise target shooting, just buy the top line one's and enjoy. Bill K

This sums up my experience too.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 02-20-2020, 08:28 PM
Supporting Member

I have been spoiled. Hornady seconds are marked as to what the blemish is. Most have shot extremely well. Never no issues.

Sierra’s though can with lead wire extended and broke off long and had all kinds of other blemishes. Never again... maybe it’s like Bull says with some but with others you can get some cheap carm it bullets bought....
Old 02-20-2020, 09:38 PM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Only bought blem's once from Midway. Not sure what brand now.
Nothing I could see and never had a problem with any.

Back in 2000, I'd bought 500 C/L .308s 180gr for the bunch of us shooting
.300 win's for elk. I know of over 60 elk killed without a problem. Some within 35-50 feet. All were loaded the same and checked thru the chambers of everyone's gun to make sure of fit.

I shot a cow elk at 200 yards in the ribs, perfectly hit. Knocked her down up a steep slope in 20" snow. She slid about 75 yards down the hill before stopping. By then I'd started up knowing she wouldn't slide all the way down to me.

Damned if she didn't take off running soon as the slide stopped. WTH?? I made a bad offhand shot and hit top of the hips on the spine and put her down.
I went up and she was still alive. About 30 feet away I switched to a pistol for a finish up shot. Then I slipped on a rock and looked to see where I was stepping. Heard a noise and looked: had her head up and both front legs pawing hard trying to get me. Had her back on the downhill side and no contact with the ground with feet. I pulverized her head with the Blackhawk .30 carb.

Funny thing. I'd left my truck in the road running and others yelled to come move it. "just drive it up below me and park it". I grabbed an ear and tugged, away she went sliding. I think it took only three times pulling an ear and getting out of the way and she slid right against the back wheel of my truck.
Talk about a great 'packing out!". Told the half dozen or more guys that had come up: "no place here to dress her out, help me load her up and I'll drive to camp". We all grabbed hold and loaded her whole.

Never had an easier doings than that one. Most end up at the bottom of the 9th steepest hill in the county and no way to get to them either.

I figure that was just one faulty bullet. Never got thru the ribs, blew up on the outside, busted three ribs apart and didn't even enter the near lungs. WHY?

At 200 yards just about any hunting bullet should fully or nearly penetrate.

Once I shot an antelope in the ribs with a .223 55gr and it hit a rib, angled back thru a lung and liver, exited the far short ribs. 13" penetration at 100yds. That was a C/L too.

Back in the 50's and early 60's we couldn't tell what a bullet might do. Some penciled thru, others blew up on the surface. Just had to keep shooting til game was down. Bullet makers sure have improved on performance since.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"