Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2017, 03:25 AM
Supporting Member

Default Scoring a match

So I opened my big mouth and now am organizing a Rimfire Competition at a local Range. The way I figured to score it would be 5 shots best group and closest to the bull. So say your group measures .25 and you are 1.25 from the bull your total score would be 1.50.

This sound good? How do you guys score at other shoots? This will be rimfire rifles only and one round at 50 yards and one round at 100 yards.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:07 AM

I once was at a black powder match where it was best group closest to bull and scored by a string.
A pin with the end of the string was placed in the bull and the string was wound out around a pin placed into a shot, back around the center pin and so forth.
The guy with the shortest string was the winner.

Why not measure from center bull to center shot and add the the distances up?
Old 01-22-2017, 09:21 AM

Just about all accuracy rifle matches are scored either by group measurment center to center, or with scoring rings on he target. You can score the rings by either best edge or worst edge.

It is never combined. Long range matches that are 600 or 1000 yard, use both group and score, but they are separate aggregates.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:33 PM
Supporting Member

Default match targets

I would use an ARA target, nice heavy paper with 25 bulls, place for your name, sighters. We sometimes shoot 15 at 50 and re-set at 100 and shoot the last 10. It's all on one target, 1 shot per bull. You can call best or worse edge, get a couple scoring plugs for accuracy. If there are a lot of competitors you will have your hands full with group aggs and the biggest reason? You can hand a mic to 3 different guys and they will get 3 different measurements, guaranteed. 1 shot per bull makes it easy, also put a time limit on it otherwise you'll have a couple guys that...linger, plus it spices it up when it's on the clock.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:53 PM
Supporting Member

Chuck that looks a lot easier than the group thing. And I see I can print those targets off of accurate shooter dot com.

But I need to know what is an edge and a scoring plug?
Old 01-22-2017, 01:58 PM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

I think he is referring to edge of bullet hole in target.

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Old 01-22-2017, 04:50 PM
Supporting Member

Default Sara target

ara targets are worst edge scoring, but there is a scoring key right on the target. It basically amounts to as soon as you break the ring into the next lower ring you have that score. You will need a plug to be able to properly score the target. It's a good challenging target.
Drew
Old 01-22-2017, 05:05 PM
Supporting Member

Default gauge

Google, target scoring gauge, cuts out the guessing. I would just order a box of 100, the heavy card stock makes nice clean holes with no tearing which is important on edges. We have 2 scorers, they both grade all targets. Any questions about a score they confer and make a decision. Cost is just not that much, gauges are cheap, get everyone to pitch in a few bucks.

I have 4 friends and their wives that shoot in a monthly league, this is the format we use. Rifles are limited to Ruger 10-22's, factory trigger housing and 12x scopes, everything else is open. Everyone kicks in 10.00ea, winner take all. Ladies been kicking our butts lately. Latest wrinkle has been bulk ammo out of boxes with a minimum count of 300. Sure wiped smiles off the faces of a few.

gauges, http://www.champchoice.com/store/Mai...yBody&c=RASGSG

targets, http://www.killoughshootingsports.co...a-targets.html
they also have scoring plugs

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 01-22-2017 at 06:33 PM.