Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 02-25-2016, 11:24 AM

Default Wonder if a Remington 580 conversion would work

Just picked up one last week and it's all original down to the scope. Don't really need it though, but the price was right.

Thinking how neat it would be to convert it if it was safe to do so.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:18 PM
Supporting Member

Question for those who have reloaded for the TCM. I had Eddie chamber a CZ for it right after the brass hit the market but I never shot it. I'm prepping 1000 pcs right now. My neck wall is is right around .016. I'm seeing an excessive amount of neck tension so have used the K&M neck expander to open them up a little. I'm not sure they annealed these cases properly. Running the case neck over the mandrel is showing a lot of the case necks to be very hard. I'm probably going to anneal the necks before loading to try and even out the neck tension. This uneven neck tension can't be good for accuracy. Anyone else seen this? The cases I used to neck down to 17 and 20 Boomer I annealed so I didn't pay attention to the factory necks. Thanks
Old 02-27-2016, 01:43 AM
Administrator

Hope you get her figured out Ray. I have the same lot of brass and haven't bothered with it for my pistol. My die set has an expander die, or flaring die, like the pistol cartridges use...maybe that has something to do with it? I need to mic those bullets I got...wonder if they're .223" not .224"?
Old 02-27-2016, 12:39 PM
Supporting Member

Charlie I was thinking they wanted a tight neck for the auto loading pistol so the bullet wouldn't move back when feeding. I used the expander that came with the die and the bullets are still hard to seat. I did all 1000 yesterday with the K&M expander. The uneven neck tension is a concern to me. If I can find my annealer then I'll just anneal them all. I'll let you know Charlie.