Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-05-2016, 12:56 AM
Supporting Member

Default 22 rim fire

Is barrel length important factory for accuracy ? Input please.

Thanks
Old 09-05-2016, 02:16 AM

No I don't think so. If using iron sights it does help you aim more accurately. Larry
Old 09-05-2016, 07:02 AM
Supporting Member

Clarks Custom guns down in Louisiana did a tricked out 77-22 as well as a 10-22 for me also. According to them 18-ish inches was optimum for performance out of a .22 but I don't believe that claim included best accuracy? I know the stuff they did to those rifles left me with some incredibly accurate guns. Jim Senior passed a while back.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:51 PM

Ammo makers claim all the powder in 22 LR is burned in about 16", so I wouldn't think barrels much over 18" would be advantageous. Shorter stiffer barrels tend to be more accurate in general, everything else being equal, so it seems logical that the same theory would hold true with the rimfires. The "everything else being equal" is the hard part & "logical" doesn't always apply with firearms. The difference between my Win Model 75 Target, with it's long, heavy tube, my custom carbon fiber 18" 10/22 & my CZ 455 sporter with a 16" threaded tube isn't worth measuring. They are all frighteningly accurate.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:51 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hawkeye View Post
Ammo makers claim all the powder in 22 LR is burned in about 16", so I wouldn't think barrels much over 18" would be advantageous. Shorter stiffer barrels tend to be more accurate in general, everything else being equal, so it seems logical that the same theory would hold true with the rimfires. The "everything else being equal" is the hard part & "logical" doesn't always apply with firearms. The difference between my Win Model 75 Target, with it's long, heavy tube, my custom carbon fiber 18" 10/22 & my CZ 455 sporter with a 16" threaded tube isn't worth measuring. They are all frighteningly accurate.
The CZ 455 Varmint has attracted my attention. { frighting accurate ] Will the 455 stay up with a Anschutz 64 action ?

Also looking for a used Anschutz. Probably scarce as hens teeth here in the corn patch .

Do you measure the rim on your rimfire cartridges ? Opinion on this technique.

Thanks
Old 09-05-2016, 02:15 PM

The exact 22lr chamber used is critical for accuracy also, sporter, match, semi-auto, Bentz, etc. Look at some of the reamer makers websites and look at all the different 22lr designs. The is/was a good article on 22lr chambers by Ed Harris back in the 1992 Gun Digest.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hawkeye View Post
Lot's of interesting assumptions here, in particular, theorys generally applying to .22's.
Truth be told, the most accurate .22's on the planet ( benchrest rimfires ) tend to have longer barrels and do so for a few principles unique to rimfires in particular.
The rational is probably less important than the fact that most fall, generally, between 23" and 27".
Old 09-05-2016, 03:58 PM
Supporting Member

Default 22 rf ammo

No on uses the doodad that measure rim thickness on their ammo ?
Old 09-05-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock ranger View Post
No on uses the doodad that measure rim thickness on their ammo ?
Not for going on 15 years, it's all pretty close now.
Nobody measures much of anything on higher grade match ammo, it is all about lot testing to see what a match gun likes .