Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-29-2018, 01:11 AM
Supporting Member

Default A year ago today...........

By August 28th, Hurricane Harvey had dumped huge amounts of water over the metro Houston area and started to finally but slowly move away.

Not soon forgotten with the damage it left behind.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 08-29-2018 at 01:14 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:23 PM
Supporting Member

How soon we forget a disaster if it does not directly affect us. I hope the recovery is going well.
Rider
Old 08-31-2018, 08:56 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider View Post
How soon we forget a disaster if it does not directly affect us. I hope the recovery is going well.
Rider
Its going pretty well, rider. Texans are tough folks and many fortunately had flood insurance as required for their mortgage. However some didn't.

Still, the rebuilding and recovery is moving along. Almost 800 homes were completely destroyed in Harris County and over 119,000 were damaged in the hurricane, which wasn't a normal hurricane for Houston. It was a major 4 day ran event with winds not in excess of 40-45 mph in most places, but rain fall in some areas exceeded 60 inches for the 4 days. Some areas got hit by tornadoes spawned by the rotation of the weather bands, but very little of the damage was wind related.

The numbers above do not include other counties surrounding Harris County/Houston proper, but still in the metro area, so I have no idea what the total numbers might be. Those counties include Austin, Brazoria, Chambers, Colorado, Fort Bend, Galveston, Liberty, Matagorda, Montgomery, Walker, Waller, and Wharton counties which all received heavy rainfall and flooding.

All in all its going good. Lots of private money has rolled in along with some federal help, but for the most part neighbors are helping neighbors when and however they can. An example of the private money is a fund set up by the Houston Texan player JJ Watt to hopefully raise a quarter of a million dollars at the start of his campaign. Just last week he announced that all of the money raised, in excess of $46 Million (actually $41.6 million - my first number was bad), has been dispersed to several relief fund agencies helping people rebuild their homes and lives in the Houston area.

God Bless the people of Houston and God Bless the people of Texas and elsewhere who have come to other's aid.......!!

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 09-01-2018 at 02:25 PM. Reason: correction................
Old 08-31-2018, 11:56 PM

I had to read more about this JJ Watt. I am moved. Some football players kneel while some stand tall helping others. JJ Watt: I will remember that name.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
I had to read more about this JJ Watt. I am moved. Some football players kneel while some stand tall helping others. JJ Watt: I will remember that name.
As will I.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:31 AM

Default A year ago today......

He hopefully, will be remembered way more then Kaepernick and his puppets followers will. And he is doing some good for many people in need of help. Bill K
Old 09-01-2018, 02:33 AM
Supporting Member

I had heard the $46 Mil number earlier this week on a local TV channel, but it looks like the real number is $41.6 Million.......... Maybe my bad on the math I thought that I heard with the 6 involved in the total.

Still a very solid effort from a pretty fair football player and an even better human being from all accounts since the Texans drafted him out of Wisconsin, IIRC. Not all NFL players are clods............

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/jj-watt-41...lebrities.html

Edited to add: He's an All Pro defensive end, but he does pretty well on the other side of the ball too........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF9CfBuoqDA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNskw17TZWc

-BCB

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 09-01-2018 at 03:10 AM. Reason: links added.............
Old 09-01-2018, 06:25 PM

When these disasters hit and after the folks and critters are taken care of, I always wonder just how many fine firearms have been lost. I have worked on several that were damage by flooding Sometime you can save them and sometimes not.

The recovery time is always longer than the interest of the news cycle.

We are headed into a new cycle of hurricanes and again the fires out here in the West have done horrible damage.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON