Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-28-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwishooter View Post
Tim does the 14 Walker Hornet have a letter at the start of the serial number?

The early 1994 model 21's I've had only had a single letter then the number ie A105 & EL3

It would be nice to know if the 14 Walker Hornet had a letter designation......Kiwi
It’s locked away but best as I recall.....no. It’s like, WH 9.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:45 PM
Supporting Member

Years ago while in Rapid City, SD, I noticed that the Cooper rifles on display in their store there, that had been built specifically for Scheels, all had serial numbers that began with "Scheels" followed by a two or three digit number.

Example: ScheelsXX

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 12-08-2020, 11:58 PM

Hello fellas
I’ve been trying to get some information on my Cooper rifle. Unfortunately from talking to Cooper they’re informed me that all the records have been destroyed. That seems odd but anyway the serial number is G 81. Is there anyway to figure out when this gun was built from the serial number? Also the guy I bought it from claims it has a Shilen barrel from Cooper is there anyway for me to confirm that?
I’m in the process of purchasing the trigger that he said came with the gun and claims that it is a Jewel. How can I identify the trigger when I see it since I’ve never looked at one for a Cooper. I’ve heard that some of these rifles came through with Shilen barrels and Jewel triggers. Does the serial number of my gun line up with the time period when these pieces were used?
Thanks for any information you can provide.

Kevin
Old 12-09-2020, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch_hound View Post
Hello fellas
I’ve been trying to get some information on my Cooper rifle. Unfortunately from talking to Cooper they’re informed me that all the records have been destroyed. That seems odd but anyway the serial number is G 81. Is there anyway to figure out when this gun was built from the serial number? Also the guy I bought it from claims it has a Shilen barrel from Cooper is there anyway for me to confirm that?
I’m in the process of purchasing the trigger that he said came with the gun and claims that it is a Jewel. How can I identify the trigger when I see it since I’ve never looked at one for a Cooper. I’ve heard that some of these rifles came through with Shilen barrels and Jewel triggers. Does the serial number of my gun line up with the time period when these pieces were used?

Kevin
My 17 Remington VE, an older one, test fired by Dan Cooper did in fact come with a Stainless Shilen. It was a standard barrel make at the time. Right now I do not have a date on it.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:32 AM

Yes mine has a stainless barrel it’s a model 21 in 17 Mach IV.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:35 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch_hound View Post
Hello fellas

Kevin

Yes it is probable that your Cooper was fitted with a Shilen barrel, the G indicates it's a 17 MachIV and the 81 means it was the 81st right hand 17 MachIV made (that is if I have interpreted what Dan said correctly)

The model 21 started production in 1994 and I think they started using 2 letter prefixes which I think was in 1998, so I would guess it is dated between those years...……..Kiwi
Old 12-10-2020, 03:20 PM

Kiwishooter, I can verify that, as I bought my M21 in 221FB new in December of 1998, and it has the two letter serial number.
Old 12-12-2020, 03:42 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
Kiwishooter, I can verify that, as I bought my M21 in 221FB new in December of 1998, and it has the two letter serial number.
I recall that the two letters on your 221 Fireball are VE is that correct?

the 221 Fireball letter was "E" which would appear they added "V" but I wonder if the numerical number was just a continuation of the previous numbers?

ie E288 as the last 221 Fireball with a single letter prefix and VE289 as the next 221 Fireball built...…..Kiwi
Old 12-12-2020, 02:40 PM

Kiwishooter, I don't know for sure, but I would bet they restarted the numbering sequence with two letter VE. My rifle is VE16, and I bought it just before Christmas in 1998.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:00 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
Kiwishooter, I don't know for sure, but I would bet they restarted the numbering sequence with two letter VE. My rifle is VE16, and I bought it just before Christmas in 1998.
Your numbers would verify what you are thinking, thanks for that information...…....Cheers Kiwi