Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-29-2021, 07:41 AM

Default Woodleigh Projectiles

Don't know if any of you would use them, not for varmints and small game anyway, but the world famous Australian Woodleigh Projectile factory burned down the other day, chances are that the owner will not rebuild as he is in his 70's and a lot of his machinery was ex WW2 bullet making machines.

A very sad day to a lot over here, and world wide as well. So if you are into your larger game hunting and big game hunting and use Woodleigh projectiles, either as a reloading component or in several factory brands loads over there, the advice is to stock up now, there will not be any more being made.

I have used a lot of his light to mid weight 308 projectiles, 130 and 150gn weights, in my 308, and also use his 200gn 338 projectiles in my 338/06, lucky for me I have a pretty good stock. They really are a premium big game bullet. Folks with odd bod chamberings like the 318 WR, 425 WR 333 465 and so on will be hard up finding projectiles for their rifles now, I don't know of anyone other than Woodleigh who was making them.

Stock up if you see them fellas.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:17 PM

That is very sad news. Especially that he more than likely will not rebuild and keep producing them.
Did use some, in years past, but no longer, but know others sure do and would still.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:50 AM
Board Sponsor

Well, there went the last place for bullets for the classical Africa hunting.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 12-01-2021, 06:29 PM

I have heard on nitroexpress forum, that they should be up and running again in 4 months.
The initial word was to not rebuild, but seems that might have changed.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
I have heard on nitroexpress forum, that they should be up and running again in 4 months.
The initial word was to not rebuild, but seems that might have changed.
Yep, a couple of rumors floating around about the same, I sure hope they do get up and running again, but I don't think it will be in that short a time frame, the investigation into the fire would take longer than that.

Meanwhile there has been a mad scrabble for a lot of shooters looking to buy their projectiles, most shops across the country are now out of stock, panic buy, bit like the toilet paper panic.
Old 12-02-2021, 04:52 PM

This Post shows promise.
"Unfortunately rodents had eaten the wiring above the office and a fire started which destroyed the whole shed. All the stock was lost as well as all the drawings. The heat of the fire was hot enough in the main building due to a number of drums of flammable liquids to temper the tooling so that as it is they are unusable without being re-heat treated. All the electrical equipment on the machines has been destroyed but the machines do turn so there is some hope there. Geoff was working on the machines with some people yesterday to try and see what was salvageable. As for re-opening there are a few decisions to be made. Geoff is 71 this year so while not over the hill, it is still a big undertaking to start again from semi-scratch, plus getting staff where he has his business is always a major challenge. Geoff and Shirley also have taken on looking after their grand kids full time which is obviously a hard job as well, and he is still a farmer and does that at the same time. The upside is that Geoff is a hard worker and doesn't shy from a challenge.

As to the Hydro's, they are manufactured at a completely different location in Melbourne and at the moment it looks as if they will continue as they are very popular, especially in Africa."
Old 12-02-2021, 10:42 PM
Supporting Member

I use only his 130 grn .310" in my CZ 527 7.62x39, I use CFE BLK for over 2,500 fps. Don't let anyone tell you the lil x39 wont take sambar deer every one has been a one shot kill.

Only thing that improve the littl rifle would be finding a 20" or 22" take off barrel from the newer American model

Fingers crossed he gets up and running again

Johno
Old 12-15-2021, 06:50 AM
Board Sponsor

Daryl,

Seems like you have a good finger on the pulse as far as real data goes.

Please keep us updated.

What a vast amount of testing and knowledge that would be lost (not considering the actual data/drawings, but the production folks themselves)
It takes a lot of good minds to run an operation like that as well as a great manager. It would be a shame to see it evaporate like that.

I'm sure most here understand the process of bullet making, but many do not realize what a smooth hand it takes both on the hydraulic side and more so on the hand side. It is not something you can just place an ad in the paper to hire. And of course all his employees need jobs too, they cannot just starve for a few months until they re-build. It takes much more than a monkey pulling a handle or pressing a button.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com