Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 02-23-2016, 01:31 AM

Default 22 TCM Rem 700

New here but lurked for a while. How this project got started....

Over a year ago in one of my local gun trades a guy offered up a RIA 1911 in 9mm and 22TCM. What the heck is a 22TCM? I researched it and really liked the doinky little cartridge. But why waste it in a pistol? Had a short action rem 700 laying around so ordered a 24in 1-14 sporter "remage" barrel from Mcgowen barrels.

Had a Boyds ADL thumbhole in a corner, threw in a single shot follower and removed the plunger ejector on the bolt(with it in upon extraction it would throw the case in the lugs and it was a PIA getting it out). Was now in business.....

Now for the down and dirty... factory ammo is about $18 a box of 50 for Jacketed hollowpoints! The wheels in my mind were in overdrive thinking I just found the ultimate moderate varmint killing cartridge! A modern hornet for the most part with factory ammo half the price and a strong case to boot. Wrong...

Factory loads grouped 2-3.5" at 100yrds Not quite what I was seeking out of a squirrel gun. This is after I bought 2000 loaded rounds expecting it to shoot decent out of the remmy. After about 100rds of factory fodder I ended up with enough cases to do some load testing.

Bullets I tried were the 30gr Varmint Grenade, 40gr Vmax and the 36gr Varmint Grenade. The 36's seemed to shoot the best so chronoed some tonight to see what they were doing.

11.5grs of lil gun, WSR, with the 36gr Varmint grenade provided 3200fps out of the 24" barrel and right around .5-.75" at 100 (much more like it)

11grs was good for about 3075fps with the 36VG

Overall quite proud of this setup. If i was to do it over again though I definitely would of just ordered a Contender barrel instead of dinking around with 700 route. Ill post a few pics shortly.

Word of caution-This case is suppose to be equal or exceed a 22 hornet in capacity. Thought I would just skip the load workup and use 22 Hornet data because of that. 13gr of lil gun behind a 40gr Vmax will blow primers....

Last edited by 458win; 02-23-2016 at 02:33 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:52 AM
Supporting Member

Nice report and looking forward to the pictures! I still want to play wuth some loads for my 1911. A couple weeks ago a friend shot my 1911 and it FTE every round for him and just fine for me. Thinking my loads are on the weak side thinking he may have a limp wrist but an advid 1911 45 ACP type of guy.

Sure to enjoy that 22 TCM! Maybe someday I have one in a long gun or better yet an AR!
Old 02-23-2016, 02:19 AM

36gr varmint grenade loaded to 1.505 COL

Old 02-23-2016, 02:21 AM

Setup tonight before the sun went down

Old 02-23-2016, 02:29 AM

Went to the extremes while loading yesterday...

Old 02-23-2016, 03:07 AM

Wow! Right up my alley. The reamer and headspace gauges I ordered showed up today, and maybe by the weekend my .22TCM will be ready to rock 'n' roll. Savage 12 action, 9 twist Stevens 200 barrel, plastic stock for an economy project.

458, why is it that, if you were doing it all over again, you would go with a Contender barrel as opposed to the bolt gun route? While the Contenders are a lot of fun, I always found shooting for accuracy to be difficult with them compared to bolt gun shooting. I'm glad I'm not in your moccasins sitting on something like 1900 rounds of factory ammo that won't yield decent accuracy, equally glad I just bought some Armscor brass. Also formed some out of scrapped .223s, .222s and .221FBs (victims of old reloading mishaps). Tedious, but not so labor intensive as making .20 Vartargs, IMO.

I'm thinking that the 34gr Midsouth VNE could shine in this pipsqueak cartridge, among other lightweights.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:33 AM

I am in agreement with its easier to shoot a bolt better then the contender. Reasoning I would go the contender route is:

1. These rounds wont feed out of a magazine in a full size bolt action...so your regulated to single round feeding. No big deal just one of the joys of the diminutive little round.

2. Setup speed..contender barrel shows up. 5 minutes later your in business. Had to inlet the stock for the barrel nut on the rem. No big deal just a slight hassle. Screw the barrel on check headspace etc...

3. Cost wise I believe it would of been a bit cheaper to go contender. Also lot easier to sell a contender barrel in a odd cartridge because its easy to change out if you decide its not for you.

Not to worried about the 1900rds I still have my RIA 1911 to burn it up in. Just would of been better off to start off with brass as you did

I bet the 34s would shine in it! Let me know how it performs! Try some factory ammo and see if it shoots for you...

Last edited by 458win; 02-23-2016 at 03:35 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:59 PM

I'd agree on all points. Even with an "economy project" in the works, I'll have way more than the cost of a Contender barrel in my FrankenSavage, but that's the fun (and cost) of experimenting. I gave a lot of thought to buying one of the RIA rifles and being satisfied with that, but haven't read much of anything good about them.

Please keep up the thread, especially with loads tried that worked, loads tried that flopped and above all those with too much pressure. I'll do the same.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:39 PM

I necked one of the TCM cases down to 17 for the heck of it this morning.... I think I definitely need a contender barrel chambered for one. If I get around to doing it though, I would make sure the reamer was built so didn't need to turn necks.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Ray and I were just discussing this very little round today. I have the pistol, he has a rifle made off of brass I gave him. His wheels started turning as soon as he saw that little case. I think he's done 17 and 20's on it already. He's going to see how his rifle does...he has the reamer, I have a M7 action sitting around. Could be a nifty squirrel cartridge.