Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2016, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by df06 View Post
I had one in the model 77 and the single shot #1.

They both were "dogs" accuracy wise. Sold them both and would never own another. I had some trigger work and other accurizing work done to these, to no avail.

Now I have two 1730 Anschutz 22H rifles and they are very accurate. I would have been $$ better off buying the Anschutz in the first place.
Forgot to mention that I also had a Browning A Bolt 22H that was very accurate. A friend made me sell it to him, after I had my Anschutz.
I am not sure if the 1730 or Browning are still being made, but I don't think so. However, occasionally one new or used shows up on GB. That's where I got my second 1730 (sporter barrel) about a year ago.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:02 AM

Well pulled the trigger on a ruger 77 heavy barrel. Now time to play ruger roulette!!!! Will report back with accuracy findings
Old 10-30-2016, 09:15 PM
Supporting Member

Looking forward to hearing about it, congrats on the new piece !
Old 10-30-2016, 10:40 PM
Supporting Member

Default hornet accuracy

I've owned at one time every Hornet mentioned in this thread except the Ruger 77 in the OP. I'm aware of their rep and at the same time others have had Rugers that shot well. But...I've never had a Hornet that I thought was very accurate, at best maybe 1". Yes I've tried crimping, different primers, powders, in the lands, jumping them and everything from privi to RWS brass. Sometimes I can shoot a screamer group but when averaging 5 - 5 shot groups, about 1". Still like them still own several I just don't take them to BR matches.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:58 PM

From the two that I've had one shoots bug holes the other barely big game acceptable groups. I can honestly say no matter what they shot like, I will never be without a 22 hornet. They are just plain fun to shoot. Always makes me smile on the bench. It's become my favorite centerfire. Quiet, no recoil, decent power and range, and just a classy case that hasn't changed in forever. Feels nostalgic. The older I get the more that stuff seems to matter more then screaming performance or exotic one of a kind cases. Unless it shoots patterns instead of groups I don't know how you won't love it .
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 10-31-2016, 12:19 AM

I have a Kimber of Oregon 82 hornet already that is pristine and have run the gauntlet of hornets... had a pre war 70 that I shouldn't have sold

This is mostly a I don't care if it gets scratched rifle for jack rabbits and ground squirrels.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:43 PM

Default My Ruger 77/22

I have the target version. Shoots better than the Anschutz 1730 I had and a couple CZ's I have gone shooting with. I also like the 12 twist in the Ruger. Just feed it Lil-Gun if you reload and stand back and be amazed!

Only factory round I have tried is the Hornady 35 grain vmax and it shoots under .5" 3 shot groups or about the same as my Lil-Gun loads with various bullets.

I also really like the Ruger magazine.

Hope yours is a shooter!
Old 11-03-2016, 02:54 PM
Banned

Default Hornet

Rugers are 14 twist!!!
Old 11-03-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 458win View Post
Contemplating purchasing a heavy barrel ruger hornet. Anyone with good or bad experience with one? Will be a squirrel, jackrabbit and crow rifle..
Have 4 77/22 Hornets, 2 sporters and 2 HB. 3 out of 4 will shoot sub-MOA, the other is still work in progress. One of them (a HB)has had the barrel set back and rechambered to 22 K-hornet, it's a spectacular shooter delivering sub-inch groups at 200 yards with boring regularity using 40 grain Nosler Varmageddon bullets, WW 296, Fed 100 primers, in WW cases. Unless your 77/22 delivers accuracy out of the box, I would suggest having the barrel set back and "K'ed".The magazines for the 77/22 17 Hornady Hornet feed 22 K-Hornet ammo like a dream.

If you don't want to K your rifle, be sure to try the 35 gr. Hornady V-Max bullet before you give up hope. Yes, it has the BC of an ashtray, but the short ogive helps address the long throat of the Ruger chamber.

John
Old 11-03-2016, 09:18 PM

Default 22 hornet

i went nuts trying to get my ruger 77/22 hornet shoot. i sent it to randy for his full blown k hornet job. then i bought 3 coopers 17m4 , 221 fireball and 203 ruger. the 203 is my go to gun. the 77/22 k hornet will go to my grandson.