Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2021, 01:35 PM

Default 17 Fireball / New Build

I picked up an original 700 Varnmint in the 17FB. What a great little praire dog round. Like it so much I'm going to Build a light weight rifle.
Thinking of going with a Howa Mini. Brownells and Legacy are out of the barreled 223 actions. Are there any other options for places to buy this action. I have a Shilen 9 twist ordered?
Also does Mcmillan make a stock for this action ? All I can find out on-line is the regular 1500 action stocks. Are there any other options for a quality light weight sporter stock.
Any sugestions will be greatly appreciated !
Old 05-09-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming Drifter View Post
I picked up an original 700 Varnmint in the 17FB. What a great little praire dog round. Like it so much I'm going to Build a light weight rifle.
Thinking of going with a Howa Mini. Brownells and Legacy are out of the barreled 223 actions. Are there any other options for places to buy this action. I have a Shilen 9 twist ordered?
Also does Mcmillan make a stock for this action ? All I can find out on-line is the regular 1500 action stocks. Are there any other options for a quality light weight sporter stock.
Any sugestions will be greatly appreciated !
Not sure but maybe Boyd's and/or Stocky's.
but you are correct the 17 FB is one fine and gun cartridge. Have one on a CZ 527, that was a 17 Hornet.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:57 PM

Not much options for a sporter stock other than Boyds for the Mini. Legacy sells a carbon fiber stock model with the #2 barrel that weighs a little over 4 lbs.
Old 05-09-2021, 02:22 PM

Check with Grayboe. IIRC, they were supposed to start making stocks for Howas this year.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:41 PM
Supporting Member

These guys make nice stocks for the 1500.

http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/Pen...te-Stocks.html

We are working on the same project, but using a 1500 action.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

i have found a call to mcmillan is the best option. if they have the mini pattern they will tell you which stocks will be able to be used.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:46 PM

Thanks a lot Guys ! I'm glad I asked.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:54 AM

There are limited aftermarket options for the Howa Mini. McMillan stopped offering stocks for the Howa Mini some time back due to the factory magazine failures (poor QC resulting in unreliable magazine feeding at least in the 6.5 Grendel). Initial feed failure/blowback was blamed on the stock manufacturer... Once the issue was identified and reported to manufacturer, Legacy/Howa made zero effort over past 5 years to address the problem.

Bell & Carlson offer 2 models of stocks, Pendleton (Oregunsmith) offers a nice stock, Boyds offers laminated wood stocks, and there are several chassis for the action in the market (most notably MDT). Here is a comparison of some of the aftermarket options. There have been other prduct introduced since the below thread was started. It may not be relevant for the 223 based cartridges. Magazines feeding issue may be specific to Grendel cartridge. DO your research before jumping in. There is no manufacturer support for the firearm so make sure you have a plan that will work and components you will need.

https://www.65grendel.com/forum/show...-Metal-Upgrade

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 05-11-2021 at 03:14 AM.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:29 AM

Well I ended up ordering a Mcmillan Sako Hunter for the Howa mini. Thanks Foxhunter. A Shilen #3 select match in a 9 twist and my gunsmith found
a barreled action. Gonna be a long 4 to 6 months.