Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-28-2021, 04:00 PM

About 30 years ago I got one on a rifle in trade. Pulled it off and put it on one of my 10-22's for squirrels and jackwabbits.

It lasted about an hour into a brisk bunny shoot in the sage, the entire reticle went into pieces from the bolt slamming back 'n forth. I figured if these things won't take the shock from a 10-22 bolt, it would be worthless for any other application as well, and I was correct.

Threw it into the trash, never looked back, and never did or will every buy or use one again. Reminds me of the "Trashco" moniker used when that brand all came from the ChiCom's vs Japan.

There are much better choices for a decent low-end scope.
JME
Old 11-29-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
About 30 years ago I got one on a rifle in trade. Pulled it off and put it on one of my 10-22's for squirrels and jackwabbits.

It lasted about an hour into a brisk bunny shoot in the sage, the entire reticle went into pieces from the bolt slamming back 'n forth. I figured if these things won't take the shock from a 10-22 bolt, it would be worthless for any other application as well, and I was correct.

Threw it into the trash, never looked back, and never did or will every buy or use one again. Reminds me of the "Trashco" moniker used when that brand all came from the ChiCom's vs Japan.

JME
Yes indeed! I bought a 8x32 Tasco "World Class" Japan scope in my 20's and it's actually a pretty decent scope. I tracks and is fairly clear, even on 32X. The Vortex Crossfire is as cheap as I go now, for my rimfire's.
Old 11-29-2021, 03:18 PM

Only have a couple of Tasco Japanese scopes. I also have the 8-32x World Class, and it is decent for the money. Found it used at a LGS years ago, and started using it for a load development scope to shoot groups since it went to 32x. It does dim a bit at 32x, but otherwise is okay.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:26 PM
Supporting Member

I remember a magazine called "Gun Tests" (Short lived in the 80's) did an article on them. One test was to put them in the freezer overnight and then drop them in a large beaker of warm water. The author of the article said, "It looked like an Alka-Seltzer tablet in the beaker." Cracked me up.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post

JME
I am not looking to buy one. I did get one on a 10/22 that I won't use. I was just looking back and wondering what happened to them. You used to hear about and see them a lotore back in the day.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
Only have a couple of Tasco Japanese scopes. I also have the 8-32x World Class, and it is decent for the money. Found it used at a LGS years ago, and started using it for a load development scope to shoot groups since it went to 32x. It does dim a bit at 32x, but otherwise is okay.
I have the 6-24x? that I bought new back in the 90s. I have actually bought more. I hsve seen a lot of better scopes, and I have seen worse. The surprising bad one that I looked at was a new Redfield, I think. Was it owned by Leupold for a while

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
Yes indeed! I bought a 8x32 Tasco "World Class" Japan scope in my 20's and it's actually a pretty decent scope. I tracks and is fairly clear, even on 32X. The Vortex Crossfire is as cheap as I go now, for my rimfire's.
Usually it is only the older scopes that aren't "clear". They start getting junk floating around inside that gets on or grows on, or inbetween the lenses.

Old 11-30-2021, 10:55 AM
Supporting Member

Not sure what ever happened to Simon’s and really don’t know much about them at all but I do have experience with them.

My first and what I thought was my last scope was bought when I was a young punk kid wanting a silver scope for my SS 10/22.

But then years later, a 44Mag was recommended right here on Saubier for my #1 218 Bee due to eye relief issues I was having with my other scopes. With a house full of little mouths to feed, it seemed like an option worth trying. I liked it and killed many PDs at distances over 300 yards (some confirmed by another Saubier member). I forget the power but it was a higher power scope.

This is in no way comparing it to a high end scope, just stating it was and still is a good scope for my #1 228 Bee. So good that I bought another one just like it on sale with mill dots for my 7mm STW (since sold the gun and the scope). The mill dots was really too big for my liking.

It was hard to find PDs after 350 yards and impossible beyond 450 yards. As my good ole friend REM once told me when shooting a PD at 600 yards, you can’t hit what you can’t see…

Then I picked up a lower powered 44Mag I think it went up to 10x or 12x. For whatever reason, it is very hard to see through. It is not on a rifle and one of those regretted purchases.

As for as durability I’ve seen higher end scopes that I paid a lot more for fail after mounting and sighting in and just setting in the safe. It was repaired under warranty but still a failure during very gentle and very minimal use.

I have a Japan made tasco that everyone says is a decent scope but I personally prefer the Simmons 44 mag over it… and my old Luepold VXlll VHR over most for shooting PDs at extended ranges with my small calibers.

Last edited by GLWenzl; 11-30-2021 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:01 PM

Optics Planet still carries them.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:13 AM

Haven't looked lately, but Natchez used to have lots of sales/discounts on them. Also, Simmons had several different classes/price points for their scopes, and some of them approaching Leupold type prices.