Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-22-2021, 01:11 AM
Supporting Member

Default Do you wear gloves when reloading?

I’m not asking about wearing like latex gloves all the time...

I’m more interested if anyone wears gloves when holding cases to either clean/uniform primer pockets or the initial flash hole deburring?

I have most everything else set up very ergonomic to reduce (no prevent) pain. Holding the brass is really hard (or painful).

I thought maybe a better grip might reduce the tension in applying? I tried some latter gloves (I think 5 and 7mm) and didn’t see any important.

It’s tough when you turn into such a sissy lol
Old 02-22-2021, 01:15 AM

I have a hard time feeling and working with gloves on, on just about any project. On reloading, no I don't.
I do wear them when wood cutting, etc. for winter supply, but that is about it as for wearing gloves.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:43 AM

Send a message via ICQ to jbuts
Default gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
I’m not asking about wearing like latex gloves all the time...

I’m more interested if anyone wears gloves when holding cases to either clean/uniform primer pockets or the initial flash hole deburring?

I have most everything else set up very ergonomic to reduce (no prevent) pain. Holding the brass is really hard (or painful).

I thought maybe a better grip might reduce the tension in applying? I tried some latter gloves (I think 5 and 7mm) and didn’t see any important.

It’s tough when you turn into such a sissy lol
i had the some issues when working on brass until i came across a tool by
brass gripper,great tool with several caliber options.saves the fingers and hands.check it out at brassgripper.com i think you will like
Old 02-22-2021, 03:35 AM

I don't wear gloves, but when neck turning by hand, I used a med-laboratory rubber arm-tourniquet for holding/turning the cases. That worked really well. I suspect they might be available in pharmacies?
This kept my fingers from cramping due to having to hold the cases so tightly before using the rubber.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:40 AM

I don't wear gloves when reloading, I do wear safety glasses.

Pete
Old 02-22-2021, 12:40 PM

I wear something similar to these when processing (trimming, pocket cleaning, etc.) large volumes of brass just to get a better grip on the case while applying less pressure on the case, in turn saving a bit of wear and tear on my hands. I may cut the finger tips off of some fingers just for comfort, but leave the index finger and thumb portions on for the "grip" factor. Any box store has 'em.
https://www.wholesalesafetysupply.com/Coated-Gloves

No gloves during the actual reloading process, just brass prep.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:34 PM
Supporting Member

For a long time now I have cut the fingers off of disposable gloves and used them during brass prep on my thumb and first two fingers for a better grip, to protect myself from possible harmful chemicals and to prevent fingerprint corrosion on my brass. This has worked very well for me, you just have to work out what size gloves to cut the fingers from. Also, FWIW the black gloves hold up better than the blue ones and the HD 6 mil thickness is the best combination of durability and feel. Hope this is the sort of info you are looking for and it helps you with your grip problem. You do have to keep the rubber dry and free of any kind of lube for them to work well. I keep an old hand towel close by to wipe my finger covers off as needed.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:40 PM

I have tried almost every glove out there light heavy extra grippy etc., This is the one I settled on, Home depot sells and I assume others do as well, A light cloth glove the fingers and palm are coated with a light grip coating the name on the one at home depot is Gorilla Grip, it is thin enough to feel the brass and not make your hand sweat I use them when deburring and pocket cleaning on my RCBS prep station, they get washed every now and then and hung dry one pair is going to last along time when you pick up a pair make sure they fit tight on your fingers, I wish I did not need them old skin just sucks
Old 02-22-2021, 03:42 PM

I don't wear gloves, but use different equipment. I use my drill press for many steps in prep like deburring flash holes. For trimming brass, I use drill press with a Forster Power Trimmer to hold the brass in the collet, and the trimmer cutter turns in the drill press, then the chamfering tool in the drill press.. For decrimping military brass, I use the RCBS De-crimp Die in a single stage press. I have had the drill press for many years before I ever started reloading.

Last edited by TinMan; 02-22-2021 at 05:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-22-2021, 04:43 PM

Similar to SEM's reply. The ones I use are a tough cloth, I think say "Mechanics" on the back.
I use when lots of sizing or forming, trimming, and case prep station.
No gloves when doing primers, powder, or seating.

Almost everything outdoors = leather gloves. Like someone else mentioned, "old skin sucks".

Dave