Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2021, 11:06 PM

Default Cheek Pad Riser / Buttstock Cover

I may need to elevate my cheek rest/weld for my Howa Mini (Grendel), which is mounted in a B&C stock. I am using a MDT scope rail and with medium rings. This is acceptable from the bench, but too low for prone. I have been uncomfortably sucking to the ground, like high school waistline low, to get comfortable behind this petite size rifle. I have seen the generic stock pads/cheek risers that all appear to be designed for full size stocks.... I would like something more suited to the smaller size of this rifle stock.

https://www.hawkeyecustoms.com/opera...ble-cheek-rest

Besides the Kydex style cheek risers what are my other options and what works best for the CZ527 / Howa Mini size stocks?

Thanks

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 08-24-2021 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-24-2021, 11:56 PM

I have many Kydex type adj cheek riser on my Rem 700 semi customs with HS Prec stocks and I also put one on one of my CZ 527's and it worked equally well.

The ones from Beartooth worked pretty well, IMO, not as well as the Kydex adj. riser but if you don't want to put any holes in the stock it's a good option.

https://www.beartooth-products.com/c...ld-piece-riser
Old 08-25-2021, 01:08 AM

Its a B&C Stock so holes aren't a concern. However, I was thinking a "saddle bag" would be a nice change of pace... provided its functional and not a nuisance.
Old 08-25-2021, 03:45 PM

Go to Optics Planet and type in cheek pad, and see if you find anything you like. They have a bunch of styles to choose from. Did you get the M40 stock?

Last edited by moorepower; 08-25-2021 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-25-2021, 04:13 PM
Supporting Member

Default Couple of risers I have

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bought the Blackhawk (off Amazon, can paste the link above into your browser,) and it is working pretty good with 3 inserts for height adjustment. Have also purchased Kydex riser from Mathewsfabrication.com

Like the adjustability and is quite functional
Old 08-25-2021, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
Go to Optics Planet and type in cheek pad, and see if you find anything you like. They have a bunch of styles to choose from. Did you get the M40 stock?
Yes. It is a nice stock. I also bought Oregunsmith's replacement bottom metal (hinged floorplate/blind magazine). A little pillar bedding and presto it shoots pretty well.
Old 08-31-2021, 10:11 PM

Thank's! I love the feel of the fantastic plastic stock that came with the gun, but it can't be helping accuracy. I have bed it but, I still doubt it is adequate. I have looked at the bottom metal, but honestly mine feed like butter, flawless? I probably just need to order one and call it good.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:10 PM

I had my Howa Mini (6.5 Grendel) out this weekend working up a load for the 90gr TNT. It is a very handy-sized field rifle. If you have handled a CZ527 Varmint (kevlar stock) then the feel is similar. The main differences is the forearm is slightly wider, buttstock is slightly slimmer, and the the palm swell is not as pronounced.

I now have a quality problem, which rifle gets to go hunting during daylight... CZ527 Custom (300BO) or Howa Mini (Grendel). I guess I just have to keep one of them warm until my son gets old enough to takeover one of them.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:38 PM

I would like to pick up a Howa Mini, with the CF stock. Under 4.5lbs would be nice for packing.
Old 09-04-2021, 04:18 AM

I have been doing a bunch of load development with the Howa Mini shooting prone off a bipod and rear squeeze bag. I am missing my full size rifles for this type of shooting... but it sure was perfect size for moving around an ATV and maneuvering inside a blind even with a suppressor sticking off the end on a pig hunt a few weeks ago.

Just like the CZ527, it is perfect size for a field rifle.