Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-17-2021, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
Sorry to hear about the .224 calibers being all 1:7. That will leave out a bunch of hunters who want a walk about rifle, not a bench rifle shooting at steel plates at 600+ yards. A small varmint rifle using light bullets will be left out unless they will reduce the load to keep from blowing up bullets from too much twist.
Not hardly ( don't intent to start a pissing match here) there are plenty of good walk about rifles with a 1/7 twist, in 224 and they work just fine with lighter bullets for the ranges, most walk abouts are shot at.
Just takes some load work and sight in of YOUR rifle.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:55 PM

Bill K, I don't want to start anything either. I agree getting the load development work and brass prep is the key. The 223 Rem rifles I have are either 1:12 or 1:9. My Swift works quite well also, but with the larger case size, the faster twist and heavier bullets might be even better for long distance.
Old 11-18-2021, 03:16 PM
Supporting Member

Just got on CZ site; no mention of 527s at all.
Get 'em while you can.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:57 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
Sooo, 600 is the new mule kicking in the stall for CZ. Being a big fan of their rifles I guess it's time to stock up while the distributer inventories are up. The all steel/wood rifles of the 527 and rimfire lines have always appealed to me. Time to get shopping.
Couldn't agree more Chuck, The features and caliber choices "missing cartridge choices" .221 Fireball, .22 Hornet, .22 K-Hornet, .17 Hornet, not to mention all the wild-cat conversions and Easter egg hunt for fancy wood made me a loyal fan". My situation is slightly different though Chuck in that at my age "thankfully", I have have enough of them to take care of everything I want or need "and that's not sour grapes either. So them trying to alter everything at the same time will possibly please some and the fact I don't keep well informed means they might well fit a niech or two that I'm blissfully ignorant of and make a whole lotta folks happy. Nothing there interested me not that it won't interest others I see it saving me some money . Might make some when I start culling my herd, some folks might still like "sporty wood on really accurate rifles in wildcat chamberings. To each there own .
Old 11-18-2021, 07:20 PM

I am also in agreement with Chuck and montdoug. I am at a time when I need to start thinning the herd, but am reluctant to start doing it just yet. Also, I really do like the CZ set triggers.

Last edited by TinMan; 11-18-2021 at 09:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-18-2021, 08:18 PM
Supporting Member

I tried several time (4, IIRC) to like the small action that signifies the CZ Model 527 rifles. And each time the protruding metal magazines got in the way, and none of them lasted very long at my house.

Through it all, I've seen the Model 527 action often times characterized as a small "Mauser" action simply because the 527 actions are a controlled round feed action, much like the pre-64 Model 70 Winchester action is a controlled round feed action design. In fact, if you have read anything at all about Peter Paul Mauser and his designs, the crowning achievement, in his words, was the fully internal box magazine like found on the 98 action which eliminated the protruding magazines of his previous rifle designs.

After looking through the new offerings, I see nothing that attracts me in the least in terms of rifle design or cartridges offered. So in the foreseeable future, I'll leave my potential CZ purchases on the old proverbial gun shop shelf so that others have more available to them.

My guess is that over time CZ has "shot themselves in the foot" (pun intended) by eliminating the Model 527 action which has had a fairly robust, yet small over-all, following in the US. But it's not my cup of tea.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 11-18-2021, 09:17 PM

Having had a handful of CZ 527 Varmint models over the years they've all been nice little guns for their price point and though I've never lucked out and got any with anything more than standard looking wood they've all shot more than acceptable.

Two of the five and the only two I've hung on to are chambered in 17 Hornet. That's not to say the others weren't good little shooters but for one reason or another I sold them off.

CZ has always made a pretty decent gun but having spent a good amount of time with mine over the years they are manufactured a bit crudely and their actions aren't particularly smooth. The ones I've had functioned acceptable but the bolt is a pretty sloppy fit. But, in CZ's defense I can't think of any other rifle in its class and price point that is better or even matches them.

CZ has always put a lot very European look into their rifles. Everyone sees things differently and beauty is in the eye of the beholder but for my eyes the only 527's I find appealing are the Varmint model. The American model is ehh ok-ish but all the others are no thank you. Now CZ has done away with the 527 and only time will tell what this new 600 series is like but based on appearance of the models I've seen so far, it's a hard no for me. I think if I'm ever in the market for a factory gun with a wood stock the Tikka Hunter will be my pick.
Old 11-21-2021, 05:24 AM

It looks to me that they have forgotten their small caliber and big caliber guys and went mainstream. Just like most stuff in life if you just copy what everyone else is doing a day don't stand out with a unique product you will glass over and forgotten about.

I have seven of their rifles and wanted to add more but don't see anything interesting.
Old 11-21-2021, 03:00 PM

We, of course, have our own opinion of CZ dropping the 527 line, but mine is that I sure hope they keep the tooling and means to revive it, as I believe they will find the new 600 series will not sell like the 527 did and they just might want too put it back into stock. Time will tell.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:34 AM

I got concerned for like a minute. I prefer the CZ527 over the Howa Mini 1500. But then I realized that I decided to the next build would be a custom using a Borden Action and suddenly I was able to sleep.

Next best solution is using a Sako L461 action.

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 11-22-2021 at 04:10 AM.