Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-02-2018, 07:59 PM

Default Primers

I see a lot of preference for Remington 7 1/2 Primers on this forum. Why Remington as compared to CCI BR-4 or Federal 205Match? Is there a performance difference?

Any reason for favoring the softer primer (Remington)?

Thanks
Old 07-02-2018, 08:31 PM

There is an interesting article from James Calhoun, especially the cup thickness. I am not sure why you think the Rem 7.5 is softer.

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php

My preference for higher pressure rounds like the 17 Remington is based on primer price and local availability, and hence the Remington 7.5. My local shops almost never carry the Federal 205M, and BR-4 are higher priced. For most of my other calibers, Win WSR work great. I have had poor experiences with Rem 6.5 and Federal 100? (small pistol) and won't use them at all. Hope this help start the discussion.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:48 PM

Default Not a benchrest shooter so...

Take what I say with a dump truck load of salt. I started using SB primers from Cabala’s a few years ago and see no appreciable difference in accuracy. They used to go on sale for $22 but haven’t seen them lower than $28 for some time. I buy both SR and LR. Never had one not go bang.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
Take what I say with a dump truck load of salt. I started using SB primers from Cabala’s a few years ago and see no appreciable difference in accuracy. They used to go on sale for $22 but haven’t seen them lower than $28 for some time. I buy both SR and LR. Never had one not go bang.
A few years back when it was nearly impossible to find any reliable source/quantity of components, I had to make do and test any number of combinations of components. This included testing primers. Holding all components constant and only varying the primer resulted in some interesting findings.

Zapalky small rifle ($20/1000) was the hottest of the small rifle primers (70-100 fps faster than CCI #400, CCI #41, or Winchester WSM). CCI #500 small pistol primers had the same 70-100 fps gain as compared to the the CCI & Winchester small rifle primers.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
There is an interesting article from James Calhoun, especially the cup thickness. I am not sure why you think the Rem 7.5 is softer.

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php

My preference for higher pressure rounds like the 17 Remington is based on primer price and local availability, and hence the Remington 7.5. My local shops almost never carry the Federal 205M, and BR-4 are higher priced. For most of my other calibers, Win WSR work great. I have had poor experiences with Rem 6.5 and Federal 100? (small pistol) and won't use them at all. Hope this help start the discussion.
Thanks for the link and education. I was having a hard time understanding why someone would want a soft primer. Now, I understand that the Rem 7 1/2 is same hardness (metal thickness) as the CCI #450, CCI BR-4 and Federal 205Match.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:15 AM

Found a great primer comparison (lots of stats including extreme spreads and std deviations). S&B and Rem 7 1/2 are almost identical. Looks like I'm going to be buying some Rem 7 1/2 for testing.

http://www.targetshooter.co.uk/?p=2662
Old 07-03-2018, 04:18 AM

I think the 6 1/2 was the thinner primer made for the hornet?

I didn't read the link above but in my experience some combo's just work better than others and without doing workups you may never know. I know I have one load for my .308 that loves 210m's and another that favor's br2's. for .223 I get absolute best es/sd and velocity with wolf srm's but they have long been gone for purchase so it will be a sad day when my stock is gone. the cci 450's are close but still not match.

on the other side of the coin I was getting better accuracy with win sr primers and blue dot loads with .223.

There is another article that can complicate things more floating around on the web somewhere going into detail about primer brisance. think it was actually a military testing protocol.

Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 07-03-2018 at 04:28 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:49 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Aww shucks, look at all the nonsense testing I missed out
on just because I stocked up on that drive to foxhunters.
Stopped by PVI and drop about a grand. Would have been
much more but, they were out of stock on lots of things.
Mostly primers.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 07-03-2018, 11:13 AM

About 15 years ago, either Rifle Magazine or Handloader Magazine ran an interesting article about primers. It included maybe a dozen or so pictures of primers being fired and talking about primer brisance. As I recall, they built a special test rig to photograph primer ignition.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:57 PM

Almost always use Rem 7.5 as I have several thousand that are 30+ years old-when the primer scare of the early 2000's hit I purchased Wolf SR as they were the craze and being used for the BR and Dasher still have 9000.

The Short range BR boys Favor the 205M I have used t them in several of my rifles and not seen any noticeable difference.

When I find "The Load" primers are the LAST thing I change

Jim