Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-08-2019, 10:02 PM

Default 17-222

Last year I purchased a .17-222 that was built in 1970's using a Sako 461 action and nice Fajen stock. It has a 24.5" barrel with a 1:10 twist (ran a brush through it to determine twist). I do not have any information on the barrel manufacturer. I finally had some time to spend getting to know the rifle. My original intention was to shoot the 20gr bullets in this gun. I modified a 17-222 case (drilled and tapped) so that it works with the Hornady OAL Gauge.

To the lans (max COAL) my readings for the Nosler Varmageddon was 2.101", Varmint Nightmare Xtreme was 2.105", and the Vmax was 2.160". I traced the case mouth on each bullet for a reference line to determine how much of the bullet was seated in the case neck (see picture). The Vmax is the only one that has sufficient seating depth at it's max COAL. Typically, I don't crimp rounds, but even if I did I don't think the Nosler has enough bullet in the neck without there being a significant gap to jump.

No idea why the picture rotate 180...bullets in order as mentioned above when viewed right-side up.

Based on the long throat and fast twist rate, my guess is that this gun was designed for the heavier 30gr bullets. My next step is to determine the length of the chamber's neck and then form some new cases with longer necks. This might allow the Nosler bullets to be seated safely without the offsetting jump.

Anyone else have any insight of advise on this? Thanks
Old 04-08-2019, 10:24 PM
Supporting Member

I can't tell exactly, but I'm guessing you have at least .115" of the base of your bullet inside the neck. I read somewhere that if you have at least 2/3 of a caliber (.172"/.677) that is plenty of contact.

NRA Life Member

Last edited by Silverfox; 04-08-2019 at 11:15 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 04-08-2019, 10:35 PM

In mine I use 25 and 30 grn Vmax bullets and am still well over 4000 fps. Don't know why you want to use 20grn but think you will be loosing a lot of potential by doing so. At least give them a try.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:46 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim barker View Post
in mine i use 25 and 30 grn vmax bullets and am still well over 4000 fps. Don't know why you want to use 20grn but think you will be loosing a lot of potential by doing so. At least give them a try.
+1............. What he said.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 04-08-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polaris View Post
My next step is to determine the length of the chamber's neck and then form some new cases with longer necks. This might allow the Nosler bullets to be seated safely without the offsetting jump.

Anyone else have any insight of advise on this? Thanks
Try this: https://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadi...prod32925.aspx
Old 04-08-2019, 10:53 PM

30 grain Vmax? Is that a discontinued one?
Old 04-08-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim barker View Post
In mine I use 25 and 30 grn Vmax bullets and am still well over 4000 fps. Don't know why you want to use 20grn but think you will be loosing a lot of potential by doing so. At least give them a try.
I'm in Texas (no PD's) and I don't own a ranch. Most of my shooting is target/plinking. I shoot gumballs with a 17HMR that periodically gets stretched to 300yard targets. The 20gr bullets have proven to be lethal to paper so it seemed a natural transition. The other reason I was favoring the 20gr bullets was the result of an internal exercise of not having my calibers overlap too much. I have a number of small calibers that can overlap if I am willing to push the caliber. For the 20gr range then its the 17-222, 30gr range is 20VTG, 40gr range is 222, 40-60gr range 222 Mag, 50-80gr range is 223/223AI, 70-80gr 6x45, and then things start getting big fast. The "Essential Niche" Principle keeps my wife from asking the dreaded question of, "Why do you need 2 guns when the 1 gun can cover both ranges?"...

The heaviest bullet that I am finding available is the 25gr Vmax or Berger. After determine the COAL and seating depth, I plan to shift to the 25gr Vmax. I would be willing to try the 30gr bullets, but I don't see that weight listed anywhere.

Thanks

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 04-08-2019 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:25 AM

Exclamation No pd's in Texas???.........

........surely you jest!! Seems a trip to the high plains of the panhandle is in order.

As for long necks in the 17-222.........see the pic below. It's for an old Winslow/Sako I have. I used a Sinclair case neck gage, to determine the actual chamber neck length.

Kevin
Old 04-09-2019, 02:58 AM

[quote=Oso Polaris;280598]I'm in Texas (no PD's) and I don't own a ranch. Most of my shooting is target/plinking. I shoot gumballs with a 17HMR that periodically gets stretched to 300yard targets.

seems like you have all your bases covered and have lots of variety. have fun and enjoy.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:23 AM

Default Long Neck or

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Gullette View Post
........surely you jest!! Seems a trip to the high plains of the panhandle is in order.

As for long necks in the 17-222.........see the pic below. It's for an old Winslow/Sako I have. I used a Sinclair case neck gage, to determine the actual chamber neck length.

Kevin
Going to Panhandle is like driving halfway to Colorado..... El Paso is halfway to LA!!!

From everything I've read to minimize fouling issue with .17's, you don't want excess neck/throat in chamber, which is where a carbon build-up will occur. What/how are you handling your reloading for 17-222? Are you (1) forming cases with an extended neck or (2) are you just making peace with having that large of a jump when using cases with normal length necks? How frequently are you having to clean barrel to maintain accuracy?

Thanks

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 04-09-2019 at 03:29 AM.