Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-09-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DittoHead View Post
Thanks...I forgot about this gadget! Much easier than doing a chamber cast or trimming down long case necks until finding the right length that allows bolt to close.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:22 AM

Yeah, I bought a bunch of them.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:55 AM

Default Nice looking rifle.....

I have a similar Sako of about the same vintage and style it has a 10 twist as well.The fellow I bought it from was trying to shoot 30 grain bullets in it and it grouped like a shotgun,I bought it for a fair price and checked the twist and cleaned it well.My assumption was that it was a 10 twist as that was the old standby for 17s back in the day.After I confirmed that it was a 10 twist I shot some 25 grain Calhoons in it and the groups really tightened up which confirmed my earlier thoughts about the rifle.Today we see a lot more rifles with a faster 9 twist for use with the 30 grain bullets,since 10 twist is what I would consider a slower twist for a 17 I would limit your bullet choices to 25 grain and lighter,remember this is excluding the 25 V-Max as it is longer and will probably not work in your rifle.While a 10 twist sounds like a fast twist in a 22 or 6 mm when dealing with the smaller 17 the 10 and rare 11 twist guns are slower and for lighter,shorter bullets.The 17-222 is no slouch and is damn near a 17Remington.You have a dandy rifle Oso and with all the nice brass around for the 222 you should have a ton of fun with that beautiful rifle.
Matt
Old 04-09-2019, 01:57 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polaris View Post
Going to Panhandle is like driving halfway to Colorado..... El Paso is halfway to LA!!!

From everything I've read to minimize fouling issue with .17's, you don't want excess neck/throat in chamber, which is where a carbon build-up will occur. What/how are you handling your reloading for 17-222? Are you (1) forming cases with an extended neck or (2) are you just making peace with having that large of a jump when using cases with normal length necks? How frequently are you having to clean barrel to maintain accuracy?

Thanks
As Kevin stated, Surely you jest.............

We obviously live fairly close to each other and I can leave my house in the morning before 9 AM and we can be in prime PD shooting country in the top of the Panhandle by sun down. That includes a mandatory hour+ stop for catfish at Catfish O'Harlies place along the way. We usually stop going both directions to and from Houston.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Catfi...16305695058162

Its not that far unless you are home bound or you are still driving a horse and carriage. The plague reduced pd numbers in the Panhandle in the past maybe 10 years ago, but they have come back nicely. Or maybe I'm shooting at the wrong thing...? They're furry little critters that sit on top of dirt mounds, right....?

However, in all fairness................... My wife is constantly asking me that same "dreaded question": "Why do you need 2 guns when the 1 gun can cover both ranges?"....... I have no rational response for an obviously irrational question, so I understand completely where you are coming from......

PS: To save speculation for some folks here, I'm not in any of the pictures at O'Harlies..... But I have sat in the rocking chairs a couple of times over the years.......

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 04-09-2019 at 03:23 PM. Reason: spelling........... O'Harlies..........
Old 04-09-2019, 10:32 PM

Default Sinclair Case Length Gauge Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DittoHead View Post
Yeah, I bought a bunch of them.
Alright - I looked in my bin of measurement tools and surprise there was the .17 caliber Sinclair Case Length Gauge that I must have bought at time I purchased the rifle a year ago.

I selected a 17-222 case that had a mouth that was tight enough that the gauge wouldn't simply drop into the neck. I then shorted the neck (reduced 1/2 its length) and chamfered (inside & out) the case neck.

Attempt #1:
I placed the Gauge (small metal stud) into case mouth and placed case into rifle and went to close the bolt...no go. The bolt was not even close to closing. The case came out of the rifle freely, but the Gauge was jammed into the case after only sliding in 1/3 it's length. I couldn't pull it loose so I used a small butane torch to heat neck of case, which allowed me to pull the Gauge free without damaging either the case or gauge.

Attempt #2:
I then ran the case through two different sizing dies that I had backed off so that only the expander ball entered the case (Hornady FL die and a RCBS FL die). The Gauge was still tight so I hand spun a 11/64 (0.170" drill bit to deburr and remove any excess metal). Placed the case back in the rifle and this time I was able to get the Gauge to seat 1/2 into case before wouldn't budge further (bolt still not close to being closed). Applied torch heating to get the case to release the Gauge.

Next Attempt ???: Open for suggestions
Contemplating - Load a bullet into the case to act as a better expander. Use the kinetic hammer to remove the bullet. Cross my fingers and hope that this has not widened/loosen the neck too much.

The other option would be to use a case with a "loose fit" and add a small drop of heavy grease, wood glue or even Blue Loctite inside the case neck to serve as a binder/friction so that the Gauge doesn't simply move forward and backward when inserting and extracting the case from the rifle. Thoughts?

If "Try a different case" is the potential answer... This may be the simple answer, but it won't work for me at this moment. I have a very limited supply of 17-222 case. I went through a dozen cases to find one in which the Gauge would fit into mouth but not fall all the way through.

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 04-09-2019 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:15 PM
Supporting Member

Oh my........

Direct from the web page at the link that DittoHead provided- Instructions:

"The Sinclair Chamber Length Gauges are designed so the handloader can determine the true length of his rifle's chamber when measuring from the bolt face to the end of the chamber's neck. This measurement will tell you how much excess case length your chamber may have over published trim lengths in reloading handbooks.
The Sinclair Gauges are inserted into a fired, unprimed shortened case and then chambered into your rifle. The insert pushes back into the case when it contacts the end of your chamber. You then extract the case and measure the overall length. The gauge is made of 12L14 soft steel so it will not damage your chamber. Step-by-step instructions accompany each gauge. The gauges can be used over and over again.

The differences between published trim lengths and the actual length of your chamber can be quite significant. You could be over trimming your cases by .030 inch or more."

Shortened means to cut/trim the case neck down significantly to give the case length gauge room to move in and out for your chamber length.Currently you are trying to make the gauge work on full length brass, and it won't.......... Use a case that the gauge goes into easily. To get the gauge to fit in the case neck with a firm fit, it might be necessary to squeeze/deform the case neck slightly with a pair of pliers or something similar. Don't deform the case neck where the gauge sits whopper-jawed in the case neck. Do it just enough to hold the gauge with a good friction fit so it wont move as you slowly extract the case from the rifle. Measure the length several times to insure a good consistent reading.

HTH - BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 04-09-2019 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:25 PM

He said he cut the neck to half its length.

Maybe a donut causing the binding?
Old 04-09-2019, 11:41 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
He said he cut the neck to half its length.

Maybe a donut causing the binding?
I saw that after I posted originally. It still may not be enough. I'd shorten it even more.

I doubt that its a donut as he said that he has some cases where the gauge moves freely. It it is a donut, it should be easy to feel/find at the case neck/shoulder junction.........

-BCB

Old 04-10-2019, 01:14 AM

Default Pictures of Steps with Sinclair Gauge

Photo #1 - Normal Case and the Modified Case (shortened neck).

Photo #2 - Chamber Length Gauge inserted into modified case as far as it will slide in without force.

Photo #3 - Case/Gauge inserted into the chamber and bolt pushed forward until won't move any further. I should mention that the modified case (without the Gauge inserted) fits the rifle chamber and the bolt closes easily.

Photo #4 - Case/Gauge extracted from chamber. This is as far in as the Gauge would slide back into case. It did not bottom out on the mouth of the case. This means that the bolt not closing was result of the Case/Gauge binding, and not the case neck not having been shortened enough for the gauge to fit and the bolt to close.

Guys - Thank you for all the help sorting out my various issues. Any ideas or insight will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 04-10-2019 at 01:24 AM.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:03 AM

Lightbulb Just a thought........

Is it possible that this chamber has a "tight neck"?.......i.e. the gage diameter is greater than the chamber neck diameter.

Some of my 17's require a "turned-down" gage........easy enough to do.

Kevin