Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-21-2021, 11:04 PM

Question K Hornet Fire Forming

Folks ,
I just loaded about 25 rounds of new brass , .22 hornet to fireform in my Bullberry .22 K rifle. Problem is I may have gone a little too hot ! I used 11.2 grains on H110 and a Sierra 45 grain spitzer . Also the data showed a col of 1.730 which I think is very short ?

How about some feed back from the Hornet experts .

Thank you in advance for your time , help and consideration .

Semper Fi,
Soup
Old 05-22-2021, 04:21 AM

I think you'll be fine. I use 12.9 of WW296 with a 40 gr. bullet in my 22 KH loaded to 1.760".

John
Old 05-22-2021, 05:28 PM

When I was fireforming .22 Hornet to Ackley Improved Hornet(30degree shoulder), I first necked them up to 6mm, then sized them down in "K" FL die to position the shoulder in the correct location, so the case would not stretch at the web. The result was perfectly formed brass, no losses.
Old 05-22-2021, 05:33 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
When I was fireforming .22 Hornet to Ackley Improved Hornet(30degree shoulder), I first necked them up to 6mm, then sized them down in "K" FL die to position the shoulder in the correct location, so the case would not stretch at the web. The result was perfectly formed brass, no losses.
+1... Google confirmed for me that your approach using a false shoulder on the case neck is sound....

Good job..!!

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 05-22-2021 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-22-2021, 07:55 PM
Supporting Member

+2 plus if you have an annealer it's not a bad idea to re-anneal including the shoulder before loading to FF. This seems to vary a bit from one brand of brass to another so a little test batch is a good idea. It's pretty disheartening to load a big batch of FF then start seeing split necks and/or shoulders. Don't ask me how I know some of these things, just take it that after reloading for lots of mostly smaller cartridges for about 60 years I have seen lots of things happen, some not so good.
Old 05-23-2021, 01:20 AM

I had the most loss with RWS and newer Winchester brass, But now knowing about the 6mm false shoulder trick that may solve my issue. Really sad thing I know about and use false shoulders on larger cartridges... Head hung
Old 05-24-2021, 04:06 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
This is typically how I setup all brass for fire forming. The false neck works particularly well with the thinner Hornet brass, especially necking down to 17 H which has such a different case shape than the parent 22H brass. If I am using the Cream of Wheat method I have never bothered with a false neck, as I haven't seen any stretching at the web with the COW method.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
This is typically how I setup all brass for fire forming. The false neck works particularly well with the thinner Hornet brass, especially necking down to 17 H which has such a different case shape than the parent 22H brass. If I am using the Cream of Wheat method I have never bothered with a false neck, as I haven't seen any stretching at the web with the COW method.
Makes sense, Dean2, I do the same with making 17AH's, ie: false shoulder. When making up my 9.3x57, 9.3x62 and .375/06IMP,
I start by necking the 8x57, .30/06 or .35 Whelen cases straight in 'one pass', then necking those straight tubes down to position
the new shoulder where it should be for a 'crush fit" on chambering.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Makes sense, Dean2, I do the same with making 17AH's, ie: false shoulder. When making up my 9.3x57, 9.3x62 and .375/06IMP,
I start by necking the 8x57, .30/06 or .35 Whelen cases straight in 'one pass', then necking those straight tubes down to position
the new shoulder where it should be for a 'crush fit" on chambering.
OMG.... I have a 9.3x57, 9.3x62, and a 375 Whelen Ackley Improved in my hunting rifle battery as well.
Old 05-25-2021, 10:53 AM

Lightbulb A thought......

With a PROPERLY chambered rifle, factory loaded 22 Hornet ammo can be fired, and fire-formed to 22KH (or 22AH).

Since the Hornet case headspaces on the rim..........creating a false shoulder should not be necessary.

But......consistent rim thicknesses, that closely fit the chamber, would be required. Otherwise.......all bets are off, and false shoulders would be needed.

(A side note........in the past, I've made plenty of 17AH false shoulders simply because I had to neck the case down anyway.)

Hope this helps.

Kevin