Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-12-2021, 06:39 PM
Supporting Member

Default Night vision scope recommendations

I'm looking at updating my night vision, I don't need/want all the recording, blue tooth electronic crap associated with many of the newer NV scopes, Just good clarity and tracking. Most of my shooting takes place from 100-150 yards so something in 6-8X magnification will be ample. Thinking in the $1,500 range. Any and all negative/positive input appreciated.

Thanks!

Aaron
Old 08-12-2021, 07:54 PM

Your budget gets you into the low end of Thermal or you can go budget friendly with Infrared. ''Do so searches on YouTube, specifically Hog Hunting, and you will see a lot o night vision videos. There is some good material, reviews and actual footage to review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIhFupwqOU4

Most of the Thermal Videos are $3K - $8k optics., usually an Trijicon IR Hunter or Pulsar (Flir is now longer available...only military). You have to use it a lot or have money waiting to burn. I went with the ATN infrared unit and upgraded the light source to a more powerful unit that is also adjustable. As long as I bring a battery everything works and if I don't use it that much its no big deal...$800 doesn't make you cry. Sightmark Wraith is also worth considering.
Old 08-12-2021, 11:24 PM

I bought the newest ATN a coupe of years ago for a hog hunt in Texas. At the range in the daylight, I was ready to send it back. Several friends that have one convinced me not to. With no moonlight and 50% cloud cover I could see rabbits 200yds. away that I could have shot easily. I was using it in the pasture, overgrown with trees and thickets, to see where I was going. I really want to try out one of their low powered lighter weight thermal scopes. I don't use either enough to justify spending more than they cost. FYI, the battery life is excellent.
Old 08-13-2021, 03:05 AM

Unless you are using 1st Gen NV, I would just update the light source. That will probably make more difference than a new unit from what I have read.
Old 08-13-2021, 12:22 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
Unless you are using 1st Gen NV, I would just update the light source. That will probably make more difference than a new unit from what I have read.
I've got one of the early Zeiss Z51 ZUB military units. http://nighteyebinoculars.net/2018/1...work-mount-hk/
I added a link, it's easier than posting pics. It works OK but it is really a monster for size. It weighs just under 4 lbs. and really makes the rifle top heavy and a beast to carry.

Thanks for the input so far guys, it's appreciated!

Aaron

Last edited by long shot; 08-13-2021 at 12:26 PM. Reason: added a link
Old 08-16-2021, 12:36 PM

What are you currently using today?
My recommendation is to stay away from ATN. I have had several in the past and their customer service is absolutely ridiculous.
I have used the AGM Rattler TS35, it is a thermal and very budget friendly. My only complaint is the battery. This unit uses 2 CR123 batteries. The battery life is ok if you are using it to hunt hogs or hunting in warmer conditions. In Illinois where I hunt coyotes in the winter, the battery life is dropped dramatically.
That is the only scope that I have used that is close to your budget that is thermal.
On the night vision side, I have used the Pulsar Digex and Digisight. Both are very nice when paired with an upgraded infrared light. I have since sold all of my night vision and now run thermal exclusively. The benefit of thermal over night vision is nothing can hide. An animals natural camoflage will help them hide from night vision. With thermal, as long as it is warm, you can see it. Also, with thermal you can use it during the day without any extra precautions, and it will function the same as it does at night. With a night vision scope you have to be careful during the day as to not burn out the optic by letting too much light in.
The day/night scopes I would stay away from, when shooting moving targets it becomes hard to track.
I recommend talking to Casey at Nuggets Night Vision. He is extremely knowledgeable in everything thermal/night vision related and can help you find what you are looking for within your budget. Let him know that I sent you.
Old 08-16-2021, 01:35 PM
Supporting Member

I've had great luck with ATN. Never needed service though. For the $$, good stuff. I also own a D500 gen 2+, D740, PVS-14, FLIR LS 64, and have owned a Pulsar Trail 38. Honestly, you need both NV and thermal. Thermal for detection, and NV for PID (positive ID).
I will not recommend a seller or a scope, but I will recommend you visit predatormastors.com (night vision forum). Lot's of good information there.
Old 08-16-2021, 03:10 PM

If you are using a budget-friendly Thermal then you will have a challenge distinguishing between a cow laying down or calf and a hog. The same issue with large river bottom raccoon and a hog. It can be done but takes some time for proper observation... It isn't easy to do quickly especially if hogs are intermingled with other wildlife.

Cow vs. Pig:
1) Do you see legs? Is it walking and still has short legs then pig.
2) Does it have a neck? Yes- then its a cow.

Raccoon vs. Pig:
1) Does it have a long tail that is fluffy? Yes - then it is a raccoon.
2) Does it have big ears? Yes - then it is a pig.
3) Has it climbed up/down a tree? Yes - then it is a raccoon.
4) Has it climbed the feeder's ladder and is it spinning the thrower to get at corn? Yes - then it is a raccoon.

Deer vs. Pig:
1) See "Cow vs. Pig" above.

Man vs. Pig:
1) Do you hear grunting noises? Yes - this could be a pig(s) or your own gut noises while snacking on crap food waiting for pigs.
2) Do you see a pig? Yes - then it is a pig and not your intestine faking you out.

This is where the Infrared night sight helps to clear up identification really quickly, but as mentioned above it is a poor choice to use for scanning/scouting for game.

With a top of the line Thermal you can see everything (body hair, warts, and testies), but you are now in the $5K-$10K range.

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 08-17-2021 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-16-2021, 10:30 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks for all the input guys, I think I have enough info to make a decision in the near future.

Aaron
Old 08-20-2021, 07:11 PM

Here is my problem with night vision. I went to a predator seminar one night and it was over at 10pm. You know how it is, guys started pulling their AR's out of their trucks with night vision. Rifles started being passed around with various NV scopes on them to compare and brag a little. After things had cooled down, a guy very quietly reached in to his truck and unlocked a case bolted to the floor. He brought out a AR with NV, turned it on an said take a look. After everyone picked their jaws up off the ground, some one asked what a rig like that would run? He looked over in the parking lot and said "you can buy that car for less money... if you could buy it. It is not available to the public."

It was dark in the parking lot and that scope made it look like high noon on a sunny day, 300+ yds away. It was awsome.