Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-18-2021, 09:18 PM

Default cz 527, 22 hornet

I bought subject gun new about 4 years ago and it sat in the safe until this summer when I had it rebarreled to 17 Ackley hornet. Gun shoots great thanks to members here who pointed me to N120. My problem with the gun is that it is a bear to get more than one round into the mag. Once in they feed perfectly. Any suggestions toward solving this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Steve.
Old 11-18-2021, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones1180 View Post
I bought subject gun new about 4 years ago and it sat in the safe until this summer when I had it rebarreled to 17 Ackley hornet. Gun shoots great thanks to members here who pointed me to N120. My problem with the gun is that it is a bear to get more than one round into the mag. Once in they feed perfectly. Any suggestions toward solving this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Steve.
The CZ 527 magazines are a little crude. I have a couple 527 17 Hornet's and I can't say that I've had the exact same problem as you but to get mine to feed reliably I've had to take the magazines apart and polish up the follower. The follower is just a simple stamped out piece of metal and I don't think they do any deburring so I'd take it apart and polish up the edges and see if that helps things for you.
Old 11-18-2021, 09:53 PM

I'll add that both the 22 Hornet and the 221FB I have had very sharp burrs on the inside of the mag lips. Some judicioususe of a riffler file or stoning of those burrs really helped to make them load easier and work much smoother. Originally, the mag lips would scratch the brass really bad.
Old 11-19-2021, 11:10 AM

Year ago I found that a problem with changing from the hornet to others with a sharper/steeper shoulder angle, and rimmed case, caused a problem when loading the magazine. One solution is to make a small tool that pushes the already loaded cartridge down a bit so the rim of the case slid over the shoulder of the already loaded case. Another was to grind back the feed lips to just behind the shoulder and then use the rim of the case to push down the already loaded case. The latter was more successful than the first.

Im my case it was a Brno Fox mod 2 originally in 22 hornet, but rechambered to 22 K Hornet
Old 11-19-2021, 11:26 AM
Supporting Member

Buy a CZ 17 Hornet mag. They are quite a bit different than the 22 H mag. Will solve your feed problems and give you the pattern to mod the 22 hornet one.
Old 11-22-2021, 11:49 AM

Default feed problem solved

Many thanks to the members who provided help w/ my problem. Both followers needed the edges deburred. I also made a small tool to push the loaded cases down. Now I get 5 rounds in each clip w/ no problems.
Old 11-22-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones1180 View Post
Many thanks to the members who provided help w/ my problem. Both followers needed the edges deburred. I also made a small tool to push the loaded cases down. Now I get 5 rounds in each clip w/ no problems.
Good you solved the issue. Most often that will do it. By the way they are a magazine, not a clip.