Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-20-2019, 04:09 PM

Red face colgate

I just faced a similar problem with some throat erosion that felt funny when putting the swab through the throat.

I read a few other posts elsewhere on other forums and since it was recommended and easily on hand I tried a toothpaste, which has about 4000 to 5000 grit. After about 5 patches getting 30 to 40 short strokes through the throat and up the bore a few inches, I checked the condition, and it was polished to a mirror finish. That saved me a bit of time waiting for J-B pastes fine and ultra fine from Brownells, and it worked in under an hour. Then I used kroil many times to scrub all the possible paste residue out and wow, that is the cleanest bore I have ever seen, it really does not look normal, it is literally a mirror finish.

Spent $0.00, used Colgate, spent under an hour, cleaned up with the kroil that was already in the shop, ended up with a fantastic result faster and certainly cheaper than buying a firearms market product.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17tbs View Post
I just faced a similar problem with some throat erosion that felt funny when putting the swab through the throat.

I read a few other posts elsewhere on other forums and since it was recommended and easily on hand I tried a toothpaste, which has about 4000 to 5000 grit. After about 5 patches getting 30 to 40 short strokes through the throat and up the bore a few inches, I checked the condition, and it was polished to a mirror finish. That saved me a bit of time waiting for J-B pastes fine and ultra fine from Brownells, and it worked in under an hour. Then I used kroil many times to scrub all the possible paste residue out and wow, that is the cleanest bore I have ever seen, it really does not look normal, it is literally a mirror finish.

Spent $0.00, used Colgate, spent under an hour, cleaned up with the kroil that was already in the shop, ended up with a fantastic result faster and certainly cheaper than buying a firearms market product.

How's it shoot after that? Hows the copper fouling?
Old 07-21-2019, 12:49 PM

If you fire lap look at Tubbs website as he sells the bullets already impregnated. I have used it with success more so on factory barrels
Old 07-22-2019, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter67wa View Post
If you fire lap look at Tubbs website as he sells the bullets already impregnated. I have used it with success more so on factory barrels
Within F-class competitive shooters, there is a group that swears by fire lapping their premium barrels. This is what made me start looking into using this process to remove the rust. I looked at Tubb's bullets, but he does not offer anything smaller than .224" diameter bullets.

While researching this I found a Do-It-Yourself kit offered by Wheeler that allows you to impregnate the abrasive compound into the bullets of your choice. Lead bullets with flat base work best.

BCB had a good point about shallow lands on .17 - .20 caliber barrels. Can't get too aggressive with metal removal.

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 07-22-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:46 PM

We have used that also from wheeler. You just need to get something on those bullest and reduce to a very mild load when you do.