Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-29-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
I am truly blessed with my family. I wish that all folks could really enjoy a family that mostly I call my good friends. The irony of the pig hunting trip, is that my brother in law and I were discussing or upcoming Elk hunt, on my sons father in law's ranch butting up to the Black Hills. My wife's cousin asked if we had ever hunted pigs. We asked why, do you know somewhere to hunt? She said, ya, my ranch! I never filled my Elk tag, so hopefully I will have better luck with the pigs! Either way, I am going to have a great time, just like the Elk hunt.
When you get to Texas go to an Academy Sports store and in their hunting department there will be an aisle with Deer/Pig supplements and baits. Buy a couple of bags of the dry powder for Pigs ($10/bag). When you get out to the ranch head over to where you plan to hunt and just spread that around on the ground. Even if you are hunting a feeder, spread this in a 20'-30' radius to hold the hogs. Besides spreading it, I also make some small piles to keep the hogs focused in a spot.

Good Luck and good eating!!!
Old 01-29-2020, 02:55 PM
Supporting Member

First and foremost: Have fun.........

I think that after the first shot at a sounder of pigs that you'll find that the ensuing chaos of pigs running everywhere is far more noticeable and apparent than what happens after the first shot at a bunch of ground hogs.

A word of caution: If it looks like a pig might try to run between your legs in the brush in the chaos, give him the right-of-way no matter how well armed you might be......

Make the first shot count and good luck with the follow-up shots.......... You'll have a literal blast........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 01-29-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polaris View Post
When you get to Texas go to an Academy Sports store and in their hunting department there will be an aisle with Deer/Pig supplements and baits. Buy a couple of bags of the dry powder for Pigs ($10/bag). When you get out to the ranch head over to where you plan to hunt and just spread that around on the ground. Even if you are hunting a feeder, spread this in a 20'-30' radius to hold the hogs. Besides spreading it, I also make some small piles to keep the hogs focused in a spot.

Good Luck and good eating!!!
Thanks! They told me to get strawberry jellow. Just the powder spread on the ground. I guess the smell really brings them also. I will get some delivered "pig bait" before I leave.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
First and foremost: Have fun.........

I think that after the first shot at a sounder of pigs that you'll find that the ensuing chaos of pigs running everywhere is far more noticeable and apparent than what happens after the first shot at a bunch of ground hogs.

A word of caution: If it looks like a pig might try to run between your legs in the brush in the chaos, give him the right-of-way no matter how well armed you might be......

Make the first shot count and good luck with the follow-up shots.......... You'll have a literal blast........

-BCB

I was raised on a farm, and part of my chores were feeding the pigs, and the way they ran around/ at you, I can only imagine what wild ones will do. I have an electronic pig call on my phone of different distressed pigs, and am going to use a bluetooth speaker and it's advised to be in a stand or pickup when using, because the sows will come a running. When my father was 13 he got gored by a boar with tusks, domestic, that didn't get them clipped as a baby, and spent a month in a hospital recovering from the wounds and infection. His leg has some pretty impressive scars on it. They won't go out walking near the creek in the pasture without their dog and 9mm's with a kit to stitch up the dog, as it seems to like the challenge of either protecting them and or fighting pigs. It's going to be a very nice break from pulling doubles on the ice.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks! They told me to get strawberry jellow. Just the powder spread on the ground. I guess the smell really brings them also. I will get some delivered "pig bait" before I leave.
By volume the stuff in the scent bag cost less and has some nutritional value. It is the way to go... and if there is any water/creek near by the pigs will turn that ground into a wallow.

If you are going to go the Strawberry Jello route then this is the way (needs 4 days to start getting good... 2 days in Texas summer heat)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flo9ihVJ6OY&t=73s
Old 01-30-2020, 02:36 PM

Not to sound dumb, but since there is a creek are you suggesting not to do it there?
Old 01-31-2020, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Not to sound dumb, but since there is a creek are you suggesting not to do it there?
I am suggesting that you should definitely use the bait/attractant along side the creek. At my place the pigs run along the creek, and when its dry they run right down the center of it like it is a highway. Find a spot where they have started a wallow or where there is exposed dirt/mud and coat the ground with a bag of it. They will come to eat and roll in the dirt.

That said, put the bait where you plan to hunt. No use in attracting the pigs to an area where you will not be hunting.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:11 AM

The area (20' diameter) under the feeder is holding water because the pigs rutted it up from the corn and the bait on the ground. Unfortunately, I don't have a follow-up picture from a couple of weeks later. I threw out 2 bags of the attractant and a bag of corn all over the dirt that you see throughout the photo and the pigs turned it into a 1/4 acre wallow!!! It was incredible... and then all of my efforts were erased by an act of God as the Trinity River broke its banks and covered the land with 10' of water.

PS - the little gravity feeders don't work with pigs so much. However, the raccoons love them.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:29 AM

The area where you are going is absolutely hog heaven, just hang out by their grain storage tanks. They will come. They are a BIG problem in Grayson county, and along the hwy 82 corridor. If you drive 82 frequently at night between Sherman and Bonham you'll see fresh roadkill every damned day, and the cars/trucks they destroyed.

I live near Celina, not as bad here in N Collin county but still all over and problematic. Oh, and shoot every coyote you see, we and our pets chickens and stock will thank you.

I'd offer to loan a rifle of your choice and plenty of ammo! My last encounter with a little guy destroyed the front of my car, not even a foot and a half high, maybe 40 lbs ran out right in front of me from a guardrail adjacent to a bridge, had no chance of avoiding it, ran over it with both left wheels, it jumped up, flipped me off, and went about its way.

Last edited by GrocMax; 01-31-2020 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrocMax View Post
The area where you are going is absolutely hog heaven, just hang out by their grain storage tanks. They will come. They are a BIG problem in Grayson county, and along the hwy 82 corridor. If you drive 82 frequently at night between Sherman and Bonham you'll see fresh roadkill every damned day, and the cars/trucks they destroyed.

I live near Celina, not as bad here in N Collin county but still all over and problematic. Oh, and shoot every coyote you see, we and our pets chickens and stock will thank you.

I'd offer to loan a rifle of your choice and plenty of ammo! My last encounter with a little guy destroyed the front of my car, not even a foot and a half high, maybe 40 lbs ran out right in front of me from a guardrail adjacent to a bridge, had no chance of avoiding it, ran over it with both left wheels, it jumped up, flipped me off, and went about its way.
Their request is kill every pig, coyote and rock dove we see. They did mention bobcats, but since I am sure they have a season, that I would never do that. Thanks for all the advise guys! This is new to me, but might be an annual trip if it turns out to be as fun as expected.