Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-31-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
Their request is kill every pig, coyote and rock dove we see. They did mention bobcats, but since I am sure they have a season, that I would never do that. Thanks for all the advise guys! This is new to me, but might be an annual trip if it turns out to be as fun as expected.
If you are hunting over open ground and the volume is that high then you may want to consider a semi-auto. Also, if you can borrow something suppressed from a family member you will have more success.

Field proven is that hogs scatter when there is a shot. It doesn't matter if you are using supersonic or subsonic ammo and a suppressor. They scatter...just the facts. However, if you are using a suppressor (doesn't matter if supersonic ammo or subsonic) pigs in the area will continue to come in throughout the night. Not uncommon to take a shot and then 30 minutes later for a new group of pigs to show up. However, without a suppressor the blast from the rifle tends to clear out the county and it may be hours before the next marauding group of pigs shows up.

You'll have fun either way and the meat is great. There are 2 cuts of meat from each side of the hog that you'll want to keep. The (1) hind legs and (2) backstrap all the way to base of skull (captures the picnic roast behind front shoulder and some great neck meat).
Old 01-31-2020, 05:00 PM

Here is a great video for quick field cleaning (gutless) of pig. The only difference is that I no longer bother removing the front leg. Instead, I plunge my knife twice as deep when going along the spine from the rear edge of front shoulder to the skull. The lateral cut (perpendicular to spine) that you make along top of rib to separate the back strap is modified when you get to the rear of the front shoulder (i.e. shoulder blade)...pivot the blade to vertical and scrape along the inside of the shoulder blade and continue up the neck. This piece of meat (shoulder blade to base of skull) is red meat (tastes great) and probably 2x amount of meat as the back strap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-BmX-3Qqa4&t=92s

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 01-31-2020 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
Their request is kill every pig, coyote and rock dove we see. They did mention bobcats, but since I am sure they have a season, that I would never do that. Thanks for all the advise guys! This is new to me, but might be an annual trip if it turns out to be as fun as expected.
There are Bobcats but they're pretty shy. Laws change from county to county so check first. For instance can't take turkeys in Collin County, but Grayson you can.

Keep in mind, since you are an approved agent of the landowner, for nuisance species like hogs and coyotes, there is no season, limit, or license required, and it is perfectly legal to shoot from a vehicle, as long as you don't shoot from a road or right of way.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:59 PM
Supporting Member

Some additional information about the taking of bobcats which are listed as a non-game animal in Texas. Being a non-game animal, a bobcat still has some restrictions attached that can affect both residents and non-residents.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/o...-other-species

One other point which I'm sure your host will be able to supply good information for you. Hogs are a product of what they eat. If they have good forage, and if the meat is taken care of properly, eating is not bad. However if they forage on the native vegetation, for the most part they may not be edible.

Have fun........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 01-31-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polaris View Post
If you are hunting over open ground and the volume is that high then you may want to consider a semi-auto. Also, if you can borrow something suppressed from a family member you will have more success.

Field proven is that hogs scatter when there is a shot. It doesn't matter if you are using supersonic or subsonic ammo and a suppressor. They scatter...just the facts. However, if you are using a suppressor (doesn't matter if supersonic ammo or subsonic) pigs in the area will continue to come in throughout the night. Not uncommon to take a shot and then 30 minutes later for a new group of pigs to show up. However, without a suppressor the blast from the rifle tends to clear out the county and it may be hours before the next marauding group of pigs shows up.

You'll have fun either way and the meat is great. There are 2 cuts of meat from each side of the hog that you'll want to keep. The (1) hind legs and (2) backstrap all the way to base of skull (captures the picnic roast behind front shoulder and some great neck meat).

The 760 pump is mainly/ only for use with the ATN night vision. I am taking a 7.62X39 AR for daytime shooting.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polaris View Post
Here is a great video for quick field cleaning (gutless) of pig. The only difference is that I no longer bother removing the front leg. Instead, I plunge my knife twice as deep when going along the spine from the rear edge of front shoulder to the skull. The lateral cut (perpendicular to spine) that you make along top of rib to separate the back strap is modified when you get to the rear of the front shoulder (i.e. shoulder blade)...pivot the blade to vertical and scrape along the inside of the shoulder blade and continue up the neck. This piece of meat (shoulder blade to base of skull) is red meat (tastes great) and probably 2x amount of meat as the back strap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-BmX-3Qqa4&t=92s
Honestly, "IF" we take any meat, I will probably just skin and cut out the loins. Growing up on a farm, and group butchering for 4 families, so I have been in on probably close to 100 pigs, skinning and boning out. One time we had a bore break a leg and butchered, and that was the last time that happened. When your used to "good" pork, boar is nasty! If we get a 60-80lb gilt we will do a bit of cutting. This is really going to be closer to shooting Prairie Dogs than a meat hunt. They never ever pick them up and between the coyotes, bobcats and other pigs, they claim that all you will see in a few days are piles of bones. That being said, if we see the right size pigs, we will have some loins in the cooler. I hope no one thinks less of me for that, but it is a depravation hunt. FYI Wolfe City is the closest town to where we are headed.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:01 PM
Supporting Member

Maybe I missed it as to when you were taking the hunt, but I am wondering how it went if you have already been there.

Just curious..........

EDIT: Whoops.... Just re-read the entire thread and I see that you are going around Feb 28th. My bad. Its a relatively slow day in South Texas today. I recognize that low to mid 50's is not cold in comparison to some place like Wyoming where I spent some time growing up, but that temp with a breeze and high humidity makes it our own brand of "winter" down here. The good part is that spring and maybe even summer is only a few days away........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 02-19-2020 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Edit added.............