Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-07-2020, 02:56 PM
Supporting Member

Exclamation Another Powder Recall - This time Accurate Powders- Made by Western Powders

RECALL NOTICE:
ACCURATE POWDERS

General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems Canada Valleyfield, Inc (GD-OTS), has determined a potential defect relating to certain lots of Accurate 2495, 4064 and 4350 propellants manufactured for Western Powders, Inc. prior to October 1, 2016 and packaged under the Accurate brand name in 1 lb. and 8 lb. canisters, may be defective.

The use or storage of this product may result in combustion, fire damage and/or possible serious injury or property damage. Some signs of degradation include, but are not limited to, container lid deformation, discoloration of the containers in the lid area, presence of red fumes when the container lid is opened, or the presence of a strong acidic odor.

GD-OTS and Western Powders, Inc. are recalling the following powders packaged under the Accurate brand in 1 lb. and 8 lb. containers:

Name: Powder.jpg
Views: 22
Size: 70.6 KB
ID: 161093

The Lot Number is located either in a box on the back of the label:

OR as a sticker on the bottom of the container.

What you should do:
1) Immediately fill the container with water, which will render the product inert and safe for disposal.

2) Notify Western Powders, Inc. and 406-234-0422, or customerservice@westernpowders.com. We will provide you with instructions to photograph the bottle showing the lot number and provide refund information.

3) DO NOT load ammunition with affected powder

NOTE: This recall does not extend to loaded ammunition. Performance of ammunition with propellant showing no signs of degradation will not be altered, provided recommended storage conditions are followed. It is recommended that loaded ammunition be checked regularly for deterioration.

Safety is our first concern. If you have any questions regarding this recall, contact us at:
406-234-0422
customerservice@westernpowders.com

Please allow at least 2 business days for a response.

Last edited by Dean2; 02-08-2020 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Try to Fix Subject line the says Alliant by mistake.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:23 PM

The recall is for Western powders. Alliant is the old Hercules and a different company.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:58 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Patrol View Post
The recall is for Western powders. Alliant is the old Hercules and a different company.
You are right, should say Accurate in the Title.. I will fix that. Thanks.

Update Feb 08- I can get the heading to change once the thread is open, but I can't seem to change what shows on the main forum listing. O well, guess the info on the thread is right so at least that works.

Last edited by Dean2; 02-08-2020 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:29 PM

There's a series of GD Canada stick powders been recalled lately.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:35 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Isn't this another of ADI powders just renamed?

I don't know all the brands they make powders for.

Hodgdon's bought up most of the brand names in the
last couple years.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 02-08-2020, 01:05 PM

Default Powder recall

Do powder recalls normally include instructions to fill the container with water? First time I remember being advised to take steps that seem to be designed to prevent spontaneous combustion. Have to say it made me a little nervous.

Fortunately, I don’t have any of those particular powders but it caused me to think about all the powder that I DO have.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 02-08-2020, 02:49 PM

Never heard that one before either. Maybe it depends on what they know the problem/issue with that lot of powder.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:01 PM
Supporting Member

They are warning right in the recall that these powders may spontaneously combust. I have never seen that in any other recall so I presume that is why they are saying to put water in the Canister. Personally I would just pour it out in the garden and mix it in. No more danger. There was a lot of this powder sold in Canada a couple of years back because it was really well priced, about 40% less than most other powder and lots of it available.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:25 PM

Reading the MSDS sheets, pouring it in the ground might not be the best idea. Diphenylamine, dinitrotoulene, etc. Controlled burn I say.

https://imrpowder.com/wp-content/upl...e-base-sds.pdf

Not ADI/Thales, this is the old IMR/Dupont Canadian facility now General Dynamics. IMR branded powders mostly is what we see from them.

I had a lb of 4007ssc that wasn't subject to the previous lot range recall, it went bad, vented red powder thru the lid seal, smelled like an ant hill, looked fine.

They are being overly cautious in the favor of consumer safety.

Last edited by GrocMax; 02-08-2020 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:35 PM

I do the same as GrocMax suggested. I spread any bad or mixed powders out in a thin layer on a piece of sheet metal outside and light it. It flares up and smokes like crazy, but at least that is a pretty safe way to dispose of it.