Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2016, 06:01 PM
Supporting Member

Default Muddy brown stain

I think this year I will be sanding the CZ finish on my of my rifles and putting on some thing that shows off the grain a lot better. A few years ago I bought a 452 American 22 that the previous owner had refinished. Even though the wood was not a fantastic piece it still looked superb next to the Big Muddy CZ uses on every stock. SX
Old 05-20-2016, 12:15 AM

Anyone have issues with the 40 gr vmax and the cz 22 hornet magazine? I seated a dummy round to find oal and the bullet is seated deeper then the flat area of the bullet. I assume this will make a large jump for the bullet. Also will the Lee crimp die screw up the case by crimping the mouth down on the tapered side of the bullet? What does everyone else do? Do I have to use a shorter hollow point?
I only want to use this as a repeater I had a single shot and bought the cz solely for repeater use. Please advise.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 05-20-2016, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260Ackley View Post
Anyone have issues with the 40 gr vmax and the cz 22 hornet magazine? I seated a dummy round to find oal and the bullet is seated deeper then the flat area of the bullet. I assume this will make a large jump for the bullet. Also will the Lee crimp die screw up the case by crimping the mouth down on the tapered side of the bullet? What does everyone else do? Do I have to use a shorter hollow point?
I only want to use this as a repeater I had a single shot and bought the cz solely for repeater use. Please advise.
None of the 40 grain plastic tipped bullets would seat deep enough for my CZ 527 Lux in 22 Hornet to fit the magazine. The 45 grain Hornady Hornet #2230 is the bullet with the best B.C. which would fit the magazine.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:20 AM

Thinking of getting the 34 gr midsouth bullet is the ballistics as bad as the 35 grain vmax?
Old 05-20-2016, 02:07 AM

If you're worried about the ballistics you shouldn't be using a hornet. I'd look at 40-45gr soft points. Might give these a try. http://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com/c...action&key=600 The price is right.

Aaron

Last edited by rickiesrevenge; 05-20-2016 at 02:13 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:28 AM

Ballistics aren't great with those 34gr. Midsouth bullets, but the danged things shoot pretty well. I use 1680 with mine, and those bullets are about all I shoot in my Hornet. They do nicely enough for me. DO use the Lee Factory Crimp Die, for the cheap cost, it helped my rifle a lot.
Now and then, I shoot 40-45gr. bullets, but I mostly shoot the cheap little Midsouth bullets. At that price, who can argue?

Frankly, I have other rifles for longer distance stuff. The Hornet is for knife-fighting distances . I like the danged little gun, I got it for a song, and it's one of my better-shooting rifles.
Yeah, I know it can be used out to 300 yards with the right bullets and powder selection, but that's not what I bought it for. I bought it for the close-in stuff here in my part of Kentucky.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:39 AM

I generally don't shoot over 200 yds for what I got it for. So I think the midsouth bullets will do. Got some ordered. I have the end of next week off with Thursday as a range day. Hope they arrive in time to load.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:24 AM

As bad as the 35gr Vmax? It's a .22 Hornet, a 200 yard on a good day varmint round. Every Ground Hog I've injected with one has fallen over DRT. If I'm expecting to shoot further than 200 yards I've a .204 Ruger and a .223 for that. The Hornady factory 35 gr shoots solid 1/2 MOA groups for me and the trajectory isn't a problem until beyond 200 yards. You're not going to turn it into a .223 I don't care what bullet you use. JMO
Old 05-20-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super X View Post
I think this year I will be sanding the CZ finish on my of my rifles and putting on some thing that shows off the grain a lot better. A few years ago I bought a 452 American 22 that the previous owner had refinished. Even though the wood was not a fantastic piece it still looked superb next to the Big Muddy CZ uses on every stock. SX

Mud is right. I think they put something in the stain designed to hide any natural beauty the stock may have. I have yet to see or hear of a plain Jane CZ stock that did not benefit from a strip & sand followed by hand rubbed oil.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:02 PM

With the LG loads and higher speeds in either RP or WW brass, the plastic tipped bullets shot just fine, just not as accurate as the Barnes 40gr. Varminator HPs or Sierra 40gr. HP's. That said, they still put down 3-shot group after 3-shot group in the 3/8" to .4" at 100 meters.

To fit the magazine, I had to grind the magazine's plastic plug to a point on the skinny end. That means grinding the back flat edge evenly, top to bottom until the bottom comes a point. That done, the lower pin fits inside the guide, not through a hole in it. Thus, it became a 3 shot magazine.

I didn't like the magazine in the first place, so I epoxied in a shaped wooden follower so all I had to do is throw a round into the loading port and close the bolt - a fast single shot.