Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-11-2016, 02:23 AM

Default Best action for 6x45

So I'm kicking around the idea of building a 6x45 for my kids. It would be for deer using 75-95 gr bullets. What would be the best length action to build on. Is a cz 527 or the new mini howa to short? I have a short action savage now that would work but if it's to long i would prefer to size this down as much as I can . 20 in barrel an shorter stock. What twist would work for this bullet range?
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10

Last edited by 260Ackley; 09-11-2016 at 02:42 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:48 AM
Supporting Member

You could use a Model 7, but for the simplicity of parts, i`d just use a 700......
Old 09-11-2016, 05:09 AM

9 or 10 twist, your (ideal) COL for either 75g or 95g will be over AR mag length (somewhere in the 2.35"-2.45" range) the short AR mag length (2.260") sacrifices velocity.

No idea what the Howa mini OAL is, looking at those myself.

The std SAAMI 6x45 chamber will work fine.

Savage SA 223 DBM or 223/204 box and follower will work fine. Pretty much any action set up for 223 or 204 should work without any or just minor tweaks.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:21 AM

The short action savage is longer than it needs to be, however they use a long front baffle to shorten the bolt travel when using a .223 length magazine and round. The Savage would probably be the easiest to make run right. Larry
Old 09-11-2016, 05:54 AM

Not an answer to your question, 260Ackley, but, why not consider the 25-45 Sharps?
Not as much bullet choice as 6mm, but if it's for deer not much choice needed.
Sharps say only 10% more recoil than 223, should feed from 223 magazines and 3000 fps with 87 grain bullets.
Ken.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterlg View Post
The short action savage is longer than it needs to be, however they use a long front baffle to shorten the bolt travel when using a .223 length magazine and round. The Savage would probably be the easiest to make run right. Larry
I'm not positive how they do the DBM or newer ones but the old stagger feed yes the last 1/4" of mag well is blocked off, bolt baffle is extended to limit travel, and they are plenty long OAL, haven't measured but gotta be close to 2.5". The stagger feed has another advantage in that depending on stock you can extend the mag capacity by simply deepening the well in the stock to 6 to 8 rds. Have a SA stagger in 6TCU in the Choate stock (cheap, big, heavy, ugly works great) I can get 8 rds in the mag, and its really easy to top off the mag with the top stagger feed. Favorite PD'ing setup.

One of my PDing friends bought a Sav 12 DBM 6BR few years ago, its gotta be the WORST setup for varminting I've ever tried. Can't single load ammo, won't feed if you throw a rd on top of the mag, MUST remove mag to load, difficult to load, and holds, get this, 2 rounds. Single shots are 1000% more convenient. Probably fine for hunting, SUCKS for warm barrel they're a-comin' right at us high target density varminting. Hit 2 PD's then your 'friend' next to you with a single shot hits 6-7 of *your* PD's while you're messing with that damned clunky DBM.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:07 PM
Supporting Member

Factory DBM on the Savage is (as you described) an abortion design, created by a bunch of engineer monkeys more concerned with the sale of proprietary magazines than functionality (IMO).

That being said, a AICS compatible DBM tends to work well in the Savage center feeds. I run both 6.5 Creedmoor and .20 Tactical in Savage center/stagger feed (respectively) with AICS mags. Plus an AICS mags allows you toss a round on top of the mag lips for a quick load if the mag has run dry.

Accurate Mag makes a dandy of a .223 based AICS patterned mag...

We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do great violence on our behalf. -- George Orwell
Old 09-11-2016, 12:30 PM

If it's for a kid's deer rifle I would buy a used Savage "Youth" or "Ladies" model with a 223 bolt face & slap a Shilen factory contour, pre-threaded, pre-chambered barrel on it. Last one I bought was $425 shipped to my door, so add the price of the rifle & you are in it for well under a grand. When they grow you can put a full size stock on it. My 6x45 shoots 85 grain Sierra Game Kings @ 3000 fps & 75 grain Hornady V-Maxes @ 3150 fps. This cartridge doesn't perform well with bullets heavier than 90 grains, IMHO as OAL & lower velocity become issues. A 10 twist will do just fine with bullets under 95 grains. I really like mine, but the 25-45 Sharps was designed around the shorter OAL & utilizes heavier bullets better, so if it was primarily for deer & I had to do it today, I might choose it. Either way they will do what you want.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:30 PM

The action I have is the old Stevens 200 savage built short action staggered fed style no bdm. I like a dBm in general but on this build would probably for go it to save weight. It is a short action not the longer stlye of the new axis or edge that's out. It just isnt super short like the howa. I don't want to build it on a cz only for the issue of the backwards safety and teaching a child how a safety works. A model 7 may work just not sure I can load the rounds long enough to fit and still have a repeater with the heavier bullets. I thought about the sharps but as BCB mentioned there is a better assortment of bullets. Easier to get and more options. I like that it's 223 brass as I run an ar so I will always have plenty laying around. Looking for a cheap round to get lots of practice with
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 09-11-2016, 12:46 PM
Supporting Member

Ruger American's can be had cheap (just another option, that comes with a mag).

Throw an aftermarket barrel on, and you're up and running...

We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do great violence on our behalf. -- George Orwell