Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-10-2021, 05:31 PM

Here is one I built for the late wife. BSA Cadet, 22-K Hornet on a Donnelly barrel, Macedonian walnut classic pattern, LoP 11 3/4". Don't recall what scope. Lever is straightened with a ball end.

After she passed it got sent to my son for his daughters to shoot.

Notice the slim forestock. Not a piece of 2" x 4" with rounded edges that so many stockers seem to think they need on a Martini.

New wife likes Martini's also. This one is a M-12 BSA that has a Lilja barrel in 17 Hornady Hornet.

I have wood to put on this gun, but don't have the hands to do the work anymore. It is still stocked with the original BSA wood. Again a slim forestock, not a bridge timber.

Last edited by Double D; 01-10-2021 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:57 AM

I have had a couple Of Annie`s a ZKW465 and a Fox 2 Now I have a 1955 model Sako L46 soooo nice
Old 01-11-2021, 09:26 AM
Supporting Member

Double D I like those Martini's, I have a couple of 12/15 and Model 12 actions put aside for future projects, I've also got a left hand MkI International, which has the same style of extractor as the 12/15

It's very hard, if not impossible to find a left hand bolt Hornet.
I've always thought if I could find a Anschutz Exemplar I'd pull the barrel and put a rifle barrel and stock on it and end up with a left bolt 22 Hornet.

The problem is finding that reasonably priced 22 Hornet Exemplar...…….Kiwi

Last edited by Kiwishooter; 01-11-2021 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:12 PM

Double D, I remember those photo's from some of your post's a while back, and the ladies in them. Thank you again, for sharing both the ladies, the rifles/;s and story. Love the old Martini's. Bill K
Old 01-11-2021, 03:55 PM
Supporting Member

Default Bat

Not mentioned, but also an option it the bat SV action. The difference between Hornet and 30 Carbine rim is very small.
Drew
Old 01-13-2021, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Double D, I remember those photo's from some of your post's a while back, and the ladies in them. Thank you again, for sharing both the ladies, the rifles/;s and story. Love the old Martini's. Bill K
Bill, I know I am drifting the topic a bit here and I apologized to the OP.

Yes I really love the old Martini's. Love/d both of those ladies also. Broke my heart when the first one died. I introduced both to hunting and in particular my love varmint shooting.

I know I had both of these ladies hooked because as we would drive out to the farms to hunt, they would get their finger guns out and start shooting.

I'm pretty sure that finger is in .22 Hornet, so I haven't drifted too far.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:40 PM

Often Douglas, we just have to count our blessings and keep treasured memories. Bill K
Old 01-14-2021, 01:31 PM

Very nice Hornets in this threads, especially like the Martini's. I hope to have a Martini in Hornet someday.

Recently took out some of my .22 Hornets and took a group shot since I had them together. I have a few more but these are the ones I tend to shoot

Old 01-16-2021, 01:54 AM

This is my dream Hornet... a Browning A-Bolt II Micro Medallion originally chambered for the .22 Hornet. I picked it up when I was a dealer back in the late '90s, and never fired it. I recently had Mark Chesebro chamber and fit a Lilja stainless .17 1:10" barrel to the receiver, and to modify the recoil lug to support interchangeable barrels. The rifle can now be used either with the 22" blued Browning factory .22 Hornet barrel, or with the 25" stainless .17 Hornady Hornet barrel. Both barrels are threaded, for a suppressor, so that I don't have to wear hearing protection when using the rifle.

I called him earlier this week just before he shipped the rifle to me, and he had a great story to tell about it.

After the .17 barrel was fitted, chambered, extractor cuts made, etc., Mark took it out behind his shop to test-fire it. The barrel had been profiled by Lilja to match the standard factory A-Bolt Hornet configuration, but the rifle didn't have any sights installed. Mark was going to fire it downrange to function check his work and to look at the fired case... he has a lot of property behind his shop in rural central California and a large hill as a backstop. His dog took off up the hill as they left the shop and jumped a coyote, who took off. About 130 yards out, the coyote stopped to look back over its shoulder. Mark told me that he only had one other functioning rifle in the shop, a .338-06, but he discarded the idea of running back inside and grabbing it. He raised the A-Bolt up, sighting it like a shotgun over the barrel, held for a moment, then fired. The coyote dropped in its tracks! Not bad for the first shot from a freshly-fitted barrel and no sights! (He did tell me that when he made it up the hill to the coyote it was still breathing, so he had to shoot it again to finish the job.)

Right now, the rifle is 100% on live targets, so I don't know if I'll ever top that. Certainly an auspicious beginning. I've been planning this project for more than a decade and finally made it happen. Can't wait to scope it and shoot it.

Last edited by obijohn; 01-22-2021 at 06:35 PM.