Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 01-23-2020, 04:02 AM

Have a idea he meant 8208 powder and had a misguided key punch/finger like I do often. Bill K
Old 01-23-2020, 06:57 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Have a idea he meant 8208 powder and had a misguided key punch/finger like I do often. Bill K
Correct, Thanks. Picture has the correct info, 8208 and I edited my post to fix. All the best.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:59 PM
Supporting Member

Great group Dean !

I know groups like that aren't just measuring powder and seating bullets !

Could you go through your case prep for such great 17 FB groups ?

I just picked up some Nosler 17 FB seconds, that I want to prep. They seem to have very thick necks.

Thanks !

Jim
Old 02-02-2020, 06:14 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D View Post
Great group Dean !

I know groups like that aren't just measuring powder and seating bullets !

Could you go through your case prep for such great 17 FB groups ?

I just picked up some Nosler 17 FB seconds, that I want to prep. They seem to have very thick necks.

Thanks !

Jim
Actually, they pretty much are measure powder and seat bullets. I got very similar groups, .127 MOA 3 shots at 200 yards, with a 22 Hornet and a Browning rifle on the same day. Both the 17 FB and 22H have factory barrels, the 17 FB is a Stainless Rem fluted med light varmint and the 22 H is a CM Browning sporter contour. Both are in Devcon bedded stocks with floated barrels. The 17 FB is factory Rem 17 FB brass, weight sorted to .5 grain. Outside of that, they are neck sized and loaded. Same for the 22 Hornet except they are WW brass.

I have tried all the various case prep tricks, but for factory chambers in factory barrels, weight sort, neck size, load and shoot gives me as good results as spending hours turning necks, uniforming primer pockets, annealing et al. Other guys may get better results with case prep but I have owned far too many factory guns to count and case prep didn't make a difference. Now some of my custom chambered BR guns case prep was required but they are an entirely different animal.

The single most critical factor I have found to great groups is seating depth. That is why it is on every target I shoot. I can easily triple the group size by moving the bullet in or out 2 or 3 100s of an inch.

Last edited by Dean2; 02-02-2020 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:49 PM

Years ago when I started shooting High Power, the single biggest thing that helped with accuracy was to deburr flash holes. I don't shoot BR, but I still do that for my target and varmint rifles. My bolt actions get fire formed and neck size only after forming, until I need to anneal or trim.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:41 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks Dean and TinMam

Dean what does the neck thickness measure on your Factory brass ?

The neck thickness varies, on the Nosler seconds. I'm working on. Some as thick as .019.

Thinking they need turned down some.

I will sit down and weigh sort them.

Thanks again !

Jim
Old 02-03-2020, 02:31 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Thanks Dean and TinMam

The neck thickness varies, on the Nosler seconds. I'm working on. Some as thick as .019.

Thanks again !

Jim
I really have no idea what the neck thickness is on the Rem brass I have. I will try to measure a few and get back to you.
Old 02-29-2020, 03:52 AM
Supporting Member

There have a number of responses over the last several years reporting 8208 being too slow for 25gr bullets. Having shot it behind both 25gr Hornady HPs and 25gr V-max's, velocity is far from lacking. 18.6 to 19.0grs chronographs in the 3750-3850fps range with either bullet out of my 26" 700 VSF. 19.2 kicks it up just under 3900fps. That being said, at 19.0 - 19.2 depending on which bullet, bolt lift is getting sticky. Backing off and keeping things around 18.6 - 18.8grs shoots better anyway.

I have found other powders that are more accurate at 3800ish with less pressure. If 8208 was the only thing I could find, I certainly would not feel that I was loosing out in comparison to other powders ie. Benchmark, H335, 4198, etc.

All the best, Michael.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:35 PM

H4198, REM 7 1/2 primers, and 25 gr Bergers.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including their life."

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:01 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Thanks Dean and TinMam

Thanks again !

Jim
Finally remembered to measure the rem 17 FB necks. They are .011 to .012. Much thinner than the Nosler u have. 221 fb rem brass is the same at .012. U may need to shave the necks a bit on yours to ensure adequate room for neck expansion.