Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-26-2020, 10:47 AM
Supporting Member

Default What is the lightest weight trigger for youth?

Any ideas on acceptably safe weight triggers for youth. It’s kind of a loaded question pun intended maybe subjective would be a better word to use
Old 02-26-2020, 12:25 PM

Until the youth is "experienced" in handling firearms and the required safe handling of them, I would not adjust the trigger pull. May try to smooth it out some, but not lighten the pull any. JMO
Old 02-26-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMinTN View Post
Until the youth is "experienced" in handling firearms and the required safe handling of them, I would not adjust the trigger pull. May try to smooth it out some, but not lighten the pull any. JMO
Agree, I would let most be at their factory setting.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:39 PM
Supporting Member

So then what you guys are saying is that 1 lb 14.5 oz is good for a CZ Scout 22?
Old 02-26-2020, 01:41 PM
Supporting Member

I guess for that matter and iirc the chipmunk also had a 2lb trigger but it has a longer trigger pull iirc
Old 02-26-2020, 04:15 PM
Supporting Member

My 8 year old grandson does just fine with his chipmunk rifle. It's set about like yours.

Tom
Old 02-26-2020, 06:06 PM

When I started shooting competition, 3-postion, the trigger weight was 3 pounds.
It is now 2.2 pounds and that is a good weight trigger and is light enough for accurate shooting. So was the 3 pound trigger.
What the proper trigger weight is, I would think, depends on the instruction the lad gets or has had.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:54 PM

Depends on what the gun is used for. If it is a field gun or plinking then should be a bit heavier. If it is a dedicated bench gun that won't "accidentally" go off in any position other then horizontal with the barrel pointed down range then I'm okay with lighter.

The other thing to keep in mind is that little hands aren't nearly as strong as ours. So a 2.5# trigger might seem light to us, but may be considered heavier for them. If you have the time and patience, take the youngster out and pay close attention to how much trigger strain he/she has using several different rifles to gauge what is a reasonable trigger pull for that child.

My experience with my daughter is that a nice trigger helps, but the mental focus is most important. There is a distinct difference when you are working a bolt rifle versus a 10/22. Shooting improved dramatically when she knew there wasn't 9 other follow-up shots...in rapid succession. I would make her shoot 25 rounds of her best effort with a bolt rifle with peep sight, and then she could pull out the 10/22 and shoot her fun targets to death.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:30 AM
Supporting Member

Good info and thank you.

I just went a checked one of the three chipmunk 17HM2s. It average 2lb 10oz.

I bought the CZ Scout preowned from a good friend who didn’t touch the trigger. Under 2lbs seems light. So took it apart and it appeared to have the exact same spring as the other three CZs I put a brooks spring in to reduce trigger pull.

The weight can be adjusted easy enough. But I have to say that the 1lb 14 oz doesn’t ‘feel’ that light to me and is in no way going to go off on the big bump test it did. Matter of fact I kind of fell in love shooting the ugly birch stock youth gun... Dang thing is amazingly accurate!! But I seem to be more shaky with the short lil think than an adult CZ. I might have to have a stock made with some walnut I have laying around and just keto it gor a grandpa lol.

As far as kids go. I believe what you say is true about them not as strong as an adult. Come to think about it, seems like I hashed this out with someone years ago? Maybe RayH?
Old 02-27-2020, 12:32 PM

I was reminded of this lesson when I was teaching my girlfriend to shoot. She had bought a S&W revolver (38Spl) for self-defense. At 3 yards she was consistently hitting the target in the head. I was impressed and then watched her carefully...she was aiming for the chest! The effort to draw the double action trigger was so much for her that it caused her entire hand to tighten resulting in her hand position pulling back and up. The result was a consistent 1' shift in POI from where she had intended. At any further distance her shots would be going over people's heads. Also, it didn't help that the revolver's recoil felt like catching a hardball bare-handed.

I handed her several different polymer semi-autos and even a 1911. She shot incredibly well. Both the trigger and better recoil of semi-auto caused me to loose my carry pistol that day...