Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 06-13-2017, 06:39 PM

I would suggest 3 shot groups. You can get all the info you need out of 3 shot groups. I only do 5 shot when doing seating depth testing or final load confirmation testing and with heavier barrels only. All sporter barrels I do 3 shots for everything.

Look for vertical in your groups and don't pay attention to group size until you have studied vertical. If you get two consecutive groups that have the same vertical with different powder charges then this is probably a good powder node. If you see this load to the middle of the two and do seating depth testing. A good powder node will give you better day to day performance. Loads that shoot good one day then bad the next is usually because the powder charge window / node is too small and very sensitive to any kind of change environmentally or physically.

Both powders are ball powders, I think - too lazy to look but if so they do the best with a full powder column also. Ball powders can be very temperature sensitive but a full powder column helps to minimize this. I have shot a lot of Thunderbird powder testing this.

Last edited by coyotezapper; 06-13-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:35 PM

bburrell, for your Win M75 Target issue, you might try here:

http://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts-...-ambidextrous/

This fits the M52 and M75 target rifles.

This link may help also:

http://www.steveearleproducts.com/scopeblocks.html

RE: the 17HH groups, have you done the brass prep on the brass and are you neck sizing the rounds after the initial fire forming? Also, what primers and bullets are you using.

Last edited by TinMan; 06-13-2017 at 07:41 PM. Reason: added info
Old 06-13-2017, 09:05 PM

I placed an order yesterday for an EGW scope base for both the Win 75 and an extended base for my 10/22 build. My Win 75 has a dovetail cut into the top of the action (1954 build date), but I have tried numerous tip off rings that do not work. I tried a set of Warne rings last Saturday and was hopeful, but my scope was WAY beyond adjustment with those rings. I was hesitant to go to the EGW base as 1) It raises any scope a significant distance from the barrel, and 2) I do not have experience with cantilever type of bases and worry about scope movement over time. Since I have already placed an order, I must be warming up to the idea that the EGW type of base is better than no scope at all. I have researched and have not been able to find out what rings were used on the action dovetails back in the 50"s when the rifle was manufactured. Now that I have ordered the EGW base it will probably remain a mystery. Burt
Old 06-14-2017, 12:14 AM

Not sure about the M75, but standard U.S. 22lr dovetails should be 3/8" across, whereas the European dovetails are usually 11 mm or 13 mm across.

There is a very good Winchester forum on Rimfire Central, if you have not tried there.

The ultimate solution for the M75 would be a period Unertl or Lyman scope, but they have gotten pretty pricey.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:33 AM

Default Impressed with CFE BLK

Shot my first series of groups with CFE BLK in my .17AH Contender carbine yesterday, using WW cases, Rem 7 1/2 primers and the Midsouth Varmint Nightmare Extreme bullets, powder at 12.2, 12.4, 12.6 and 12.8 grains. After one fouling shot, the next three went into one hole, group opened up to about an inch; second group found four in the same hole, group under a half inch; third group went four into one hole, group a little under an inch; last group three in one hole, group about an inch. I only have a 6x Bushnell Scopechief on the rifle, so I was more than pleased. Local crow population is in jeopardy.