Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 07-09-2017, 10:25 PM

Default Incremental Thickness Recoil Lugs

PTG now has sets of recoil lugs to make swapping Remington 700 bbls easier. I have been putting together a 40X with multiple bbls and got to thinking that it would be simple for someone like PTG to offer these. I got to looking on their site and there they were .

These are more set up for a gunsmith or deep pockets home hobbyist whereas I was really thinking it would be nice to be able to buy only the one size you need or maybe 2 or 3. You could measure the headspace of the new bbl/action combo and a stock lug and then order the one you need.

Of course since you are getting a lot of them they are cheap individually. You are paying wholesale.

What do you guys think ?

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/incre...stainless.html
Old 07-10-2017, 11:47 AM
Board Sponsor

If you need a different size lug I think I would just wait until you have the barrel and order the size you need (if any is needed at all). If your need falls between sized, order the larger size and cut it down (thin) to fit. Unless you think for some reason you would make use of enough of the 11pc set to make it worth your investment.

For what it is worth I don't think you will. While you may make use of a number of barrels, most folks end up with one shooting so well they do not want to swap it out once mounted. Even those of us who are T/C fanatics end up leaving frame and barrels together and buying more frames, and the T/C is made as a switch barrel that can be done in the field. Often the hassle of swapping out barrels becomes more than it is worth when you have to set head space and nut torque each time.

If you do decide to swap barrels often, I highly recommend being very consistent on your head space set-up and torque on the nut. It will make the accuracy you are seeking easier to attain.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 08-09-2017, 05:42 PM

Just wish I could just pick a couple thicknesses rather than a whole set.

John
Old 08-10-2017, 01:53 AM

Over the past few weeks I have gotten a bit of an education on Remington lugs and bbls and stocks even.

My old lugs are .183 .184. Later bbls won't hs with these lugs. I then acquired a late 223 bbl with lug that turned out to be .189. This bbl and lug combo hs on my old 40X rec. I have another of these 223 varmint bbls that needs a .187 to hs properly. I may just use some 240 wet or dry and a piece of plate glass and knock off a couple of thou. I acquired a couple of late model lugs off Ebay and they are .188 and .189.

So in my experience a set of lugs from .186 to .189 would probably cover you. PTG sells .187 and .190 as a stock item.

I just bought 2 stripped 700 receivers and I haven't done any measuring although I did screw on one of the 223 varmint bbls and it will probably hs ok with the .189 lug. It was a bit loose but it was just hand tight so it will probably close up a couple of thou when properly tightened.

I already have the depth measurments of my 40X rec so I need to measure these 2 700s and see how they compare. I think I will go do it right now
Old 08-10-2017, 02:22 AM

So it looks like there is about 1/2 a thou difference between the early 2000s SS rec and the current production blue rec. They are both about .696 from the rec face to the bolt recess. My old 40X rec measures .698 so it would need a lug a couple of thou thinner.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:51 PM

Since the difference between go and no go is typically .006", jumping lug thicknesses in .005" increments would ensure that you hit the accepted head space. If you jumped .003" you could find a tighter, or looser spot in the go-no-go range. The .001" steps would be for the truly OCD gunsmith.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:45 PM

I thought the difference on a 223 go - no go set was .003. I could easily measure the difference with my shoulder bump measuring tool. I actually think I did this a few weeks back just for the heck of it.