Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2017, 03:49 AM

Default CZ 527 204 Ruger

Ran across a new old stock today. Priced at $625. Looks to be a fair deal, better if I can get it out the door for that.

I have shot my MGM encore barrel enough that I like the round.

Any input on the CZ. Looks like they discontinued the 204, lack of sales?
Jeff
Old 08-06-2017, 04:44 AM
Supporting Member

CZ just sent us a .204 in a 527 Varmint, so they are still making those. If it's anything like the other 527s I own, then it should be an accurate shooter for sure!

Eric
Old 08-06-2017, 01:04 PM
Supporting Member

I bought my CZ 527 American sporter used in 2010. It is very accurate. I killed my first coyote with it. It likes 35 gr Bergers over Benchmark. I doubt you can go wrong with a CZ 527. I like the 6 or 7 I have.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:24 PM

I have a CZ 527 Varmint in 204 that I put in a Boyd's stock and had it bedded. Tuned the trigger myself, down to 10oz and with Hornady 32gr. Superformance ammo it shot a pretty easy .5 group. I think it'll only shoot better with a dialed in load but if for some strange reason it doesn't, I can live with a .5 gun on factory ammo.

I have two CZ 527 Varmint models, one in 204 the other is a 17 Hornet, they both shoot VERY well!
Old 08-19-2017, 07:42 PM

Well, no adult supervision bit me again.
I went back to my favorite shop all geared to snag the 527 204. A part time smith that helps in the shop was there. He is a shooter as well. He waved me off of the 204. Brand new rifle, less than twenty rounds. It had an excess of free bore. Groups were so so at 100 and a pattern at 200. So that saved me some grief, but no money.
Walked around a bit and there was a right bolt left port LRP savage in 223. I had wanted one of these for a platform for quite a while, excuse #1.
I have a new take off barrel in 204 at home, excuse #2.
Another Savage in a different platform, excuse #3
Also picked up one of the early sensational seventeens book.

At least it's not another in depth project, lol.
Now to do some scope swapping and test this thing out!
Jeff
Old 08-20-2017, 12:26 PM

I've gotta say, I'm surprised at the problems he mentioned about that particular CZ. I have owned a few 527's over the years, and they always shot better than I could, and seemed to be very forgiving when it came to hand loads. I have not heard many ill words spoken towards them, especially the 527.

If I were the., I'd send it back to CZ. Their customer service is amazing and I'm sure they'd make it right, especially since it seems to be a manufacturing flaw with the excess free bore.

Glad to hear you found something though!
Old 08-20-2017, 02:56 PM

The saami spec 204's have .100 freebore which is impossible to get to the lands with 32 gr. Bullets. Even hard with 39-40 gr. You only need .050 for 55 gr. Bergers. I'm sure the excessive freebore is what the guy was talking about. Not saying they won't shoot.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:40 PM

I was suprised as well. The gent that gave me the info, had no loss or gain to it. So I had no reason to question him. And, the fellow that traded it in said the 50's would not touch.
All I have read some of the CZ's liked the 32's others would digest the 40's and all liked the Sierras.
It was priced ok, but I could get a new one from Bud's for the same price.
I stuck the Burris Veracity on the Savage, it shows promise right out of the gate.
Jeff