Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 04-19-2016, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Default Mom finally got her first bird

Said screw work yesterady morning and took Mom to western MD for the turkey opener. Didn't scout, so we went to a spot I know that regularly holds birds. As it got light I heard 2 gobbles, I think behind us, but the interstate noise made it tough to hear. I moved around the stump next to mom to devise a plan.

I called three times lighly with no response. Thought I heard leaves rustle in the hollow in front of us, next thing I know there's a turkey at 18 yards. Didn't make a peep. Couldn't see a beard, but no mistaking the red, white and blue head. I told mom don't move...she moved But the bird didn't spook.

Her gun was down, pointed the wrong way. As it started to skirt around us, I whispered to get the gun up as it went behind a tree. It did and I confirmed the beard, she got on it and I said shoot. She couldn't find the safety. After what seemed minutes, she shot and down went her bird at about 20 yards.

I got up immediately and went to her bird, and spooked 2 more birds. Couldn't get a shot as they went down over the hill. I moved a few yards and found it running to my right. Threw the gun up and rolled it at 65 yards with the 12 ga 3.5 inch mags.

Not longbeards, but trophies to us. I've been guiding mom for 15 years now, trying to get her a bird. She's screwed up or missed once or twice a year and it finally just came together for us. The double was a bonus. Two jakes. Hers was 16 pounds with a 4" beard, mine was 13 with 3".

Old 04-19-2016, 03:46 PM

What a wonderful thing for a son to do for and with his mom. Great story and thanks for sharing!
Old 04-19-2016, 04:20 PM

Default Turkeys

Nice birds what size shot are you using? You said 65 yards.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:42 PM
Administrator

mom stepped up to a 12 ga this year from her 20 (because I was lazy and didn't take her slug barrel off her 20). She was using 3" Federal copper plated 4's. I used the new (within the last few years anyway) Winchester Hi-Density 3.5" #5 shot I think. It hammered the bird. Probably 30-40 pellets in the head/body. Raked his side and excellent penetration. Really didn't realize it was that far thru the woods until I stepped it off.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:52 PM

Congratulations to you both!
Old 04-20-2016, 12:24 AM

Great job taking your Mom out on a turkey hunt. Bless her heart that she likes to go, I think more women would , if they tried it....the spring woods is hard to beat! Tell her congrats from all of us, nice job!
Old 04-24-2016, 12:18 PM

OUTSTANDING! Congrats to you and Mom. Gotta love that smile!