Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 08-01-2015, 12:41 AM
Supporting Member

Default Elephant rifle......for deer

With the advent of the ODNR allowing certain PCR cartridges for use during gun season I thought I needed a new rifle. Now as you know the 450M has been allowed this year and it made sense to me to use it. It shares the same case head as the WinMag or WSM/WSSM cases and the little Remington 7 has been chamber in all of them. Brownells had a sale on M7 actions and I picked one up for a very reasonable price, I then went to Green Mountain and ordered a .458 barrel blank. I called Bansners in Pennsylvania got and a stock, talley for rings, and ebay for new (old) trigger.

Once the action arrived I modified the bolt face from 223 to Magnum and when it arrives I'll install the Sako extractor. Next I turned to the action and pinned the recoil lug, slabbed the side, and again when I get the side bolt stop made I'll install it. The barrel will get installed once the bushings arrive, I'll chamber and thread it, then chop it to 18". The trigger was adjusted to 2lbs and all the creed and take up has been removed. On Monday the bolt goes out for fluting.

The stock as it sits weighs in at 18oz, once I install a recoil pad, paint, and bedding it'll weigh around 24oz. The total rifle should weigh in around 6.25lbs with a Weaver K2.5 scope.

The petiteness of the whole thing isn't going to allow long shooting sessions, but it should prove a pleasure to carry around the woods this year.

[IMG]
Old 08-01-2015, 12:42 AM
Supporting Member

Old 08-01-2015, 01:29 AM

Looks like its gonna be a nice rifle. I've thought about building one on an xp-100 for Illinois deer and maybe a brown bear.

Aaron
Old 08-01-2015, 03:38 PM

Nice, VERY nice! I like how you removed the ".300 Blkout" off the side of the action. Would love to hear how the GM barrel shoots once you're finished.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-02-2015, 02:46 PM
Supporting Member

Default 458's for fun and deer....

OBought a Ruger 77Tropical(?) in 458 Win Mag just to have the knowledge of 'what's it like'. 500 FMJ factory solids were interesting and tested in two large trees, a pine and an oak, both fully penetrated and on to who knows where (I was in slash pine forest out in country).
Shot 2 does with 300 or 350 grain hand loads, then sold it because 10 1/2 pounds of rifle was no fun to tote on a sling on my shoulder (Dolly Parton knows x2). Built a 458x2" American on a short action (6mm Rem) Ruger 77 Mark II and really enjoyed it - even more so than the full size 458 Win Mag. Carried much better as it was a couple pounds lighter. Would not want to shoot full power heavy bullets out of it however!
Anyway, .458" bores are enjoyable and fun to shoot and reload and tinker with.
Sold the 458 American and regret it. I AM surprised the 450 Marlin did not enjoy more popularity in short action bolt rifles. It is a very usable workhorse rifle with many bullets available to play with! BTW- the 450 Marlin was announced a couple months after I finished building the 458 American. I would have been just as happy to have built a 450 M as dies would have been a bit cheaper!

Last edited by Alan in GA; 08-03-2015 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:31 PM

??? I am confused. I thought you said elephant rifle. There is a world of difference between a 450M and a 458WM. At least there is on the shoulder.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:20 PM

That 450 is a handful. I've got one of the Marlins and recently sighted in. I loaded up a couple loads and shot it around 25 times. Recoil doesn't usually bother me, but my shoulder hurt for 2 weeks! Looking forward to trying mine on a few deer also.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:17 AM

I bet it will feel like an elephant rifle when he shoots it out of that 6lb rifle. I vote for a YouTube video when he shoots it to see if he has a "flinch" problem. Lol
Old 08-04-2015, 02:46 AM
Supporting Member

Got all my brass, dies, and cast bullets in today. The extractor is going to be here tomorrow, bushings and reamer maybe this week.

Adam
Old 08-06-2015, 05:08 PM

Adam, are you going to put a break on it, I would think that it would help with the recoil.

I developed a horrible flinch when I tested a 8lb. J9 rifle for Herters in 458 Win. I ran out of friends and shoulder long before I got done with the test.

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON

Last edited by Eagle_view; 08-06-2015 at 05:11 PM.