Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-23-2016, 01:54 AM

The TAC is not "on the heels" of the 204. The TAC is what the 204 wishes to have been. Get the VARTARG.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_3479 View Post
You boys are selling me on it! I'm still having a hard time swallowing the single shot pill. I might try and sell something else not being used and get the 20 vartarg as well! See if I can swing it. Why does everyone like the single shot so much. If cooper made a 51 would you not rather a repeater
Think about how often you have needed a fast follow up shot. Normally things are dead or missed, in either case a second shot is not needed for one reason or the another.

Due to there being no gap in the bottom of the action a single shot action twists less on firing and as such is normally more accurate. Most factory bolt action magazine fed rifles should deliver MOA, but most single shots will be half that. At 400 yards that means a 2" group against a 4" group.

All my rifles ( 22LR AMT excepted) are single shot, I can only remember one time a fox got away from me because the 17AH I had with me was single shot.

I would also opt for the 20VT, it will do pretty well all the 204 will assuming you are not going out to 500 yards that often.

A

Last edited by Alycidon; 11-23-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_3479 View Post
You boys are selling me on it! I'm still having a hard time swallowing the single shot pill. I might try and sell something else not being used and get the 20 vartarg as well! See if I can swing it. Why does everyone like the single shot so much. If cooper made a 51 would you not rather a repeater
I shoot ground squirrels and prairie dogs only, so I need to concentrate and focus on each shot. I usually don't need a quick follow up shot.

Keeping a magazine full- removing it, filling it, replacing it, takes my focus off scanning for or watching vermin longer than single shot. Single shot is automatic for me, more efficient. I also use James Calhoons single shot followers in my CZ's.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:22 AM

Single shot in the rat patch for me also don't like chasing my brass around.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:09 AM

Well the rifle has been sitting a while so maybe it will sit a little longer as I am now having a hard time selling the 204 for a single shot but would love to try the rifle so maybe a couple weeks and I'll layaway the rifle and within a few more weeks I'll purchase it.

Once I got into the 20 tac I must of read a 100 different posts on 3 different websites about a 20vt and since then it has caught my attention thoroughly. And I'd love to try one but to build one or buy a new cooper is out of the question as the need isn't there. But this opportunity has fallen into my lap for a used (in original box, tap still sticky (like new) cooper, with redding type s bushing dies, brass and billets for 1/3 of the price of a new cooper. Hard not to consider it

Last edited by Matt_3479; 11-24-2016 at 03:18 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:54 AM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ae35gunner

Hey Matt,
I have a proposition for you...PM me the contact information for someone in authority at your "favorite gun store" and I'll make it so you won't have to worry about making that dreaded decision of moving from a Remington repeater to a Cooper single shot!!! How's that for an offer to afford you peace of mind Happy Thanksgiving my friend
Old 11-24-2016, 01:21 PM

From my experience of looking for LH Varminters and Montana Varminters over the past few years, I have seen almost no repeaters (maybe about two, total). There must be a reason for that.

Danny

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycidon View Post
Think about how often you have needed a fast follow up shot. Normally things are dead or missed, in either case a second shot is not needed for one reason or the another.

Due to there being no gap in the bottom of the action a single shot action twists less on firing and as such is normally more accurate. Most factory bolt action magazine fed rifles should deliver MOA, but most single shots will be half that. At 400 yards that means a 2" group against a 4" group.

All my rifles ( 22LR AMT excepted) are single shot, I can only remember one time a fox got away from me because the 17AH I had with me was single shot.

I would also opt for the 20VT, it will do pretty well all the 204 will assuming you are not going out to 500 yards that often.

A
I respectfully disagree. Where I call coyotes, we often get doubles to come to the call. And there are a lot of times we have some come in and never stop running, so running shots are common and I often need a second or third shot on runners.
I am not saying I wouldn't call coyotes with a single shot, but If there was a repeater, I would take it every time.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by df06 View Post
I respectfully disagree. Where I call coyotes, we often get doubles to come to the call. And there are a lot of times we have some come in and never stop running, so running shots are common and I often need a second or third shot on runners.
I am not saying I wouldn't call coyotes with a single shot, but If there was a repeater, I would take it every time.
Calling coyotes is another method of varminting which is well served by an accurate AR. Nobody ever said you can't have more then one varmint rifle. A 5.56 will do fine but a hard line varmint hunter guy may want a 20 TAC, 20 Pratical or something more exotic in an auto for the fun of the sport!
Old 11-24-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken158 View Post
Calling coyotes is another method of varminting which is well served by an accurate AR. Nobody ever said you can't have more then one varmint rifle. A 5.56 will do fine but a hard line varmint hunter guy may want a 20 TAC, 20 Pratical or something more exotic in an auto for the fun of the sport!
Where I live I can't use an AR for anything outside of a restricted gun range so makes it kind of hard to justify one. So back to a good ole fashion bolt action