Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-30-2021, 10:25 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy
Default Foreign produced primers

The United States is down to 3 domestic producers of primers, CCI, Federal, and Winchester who seem to be running flat out maximum capacity.

The shortage is worsened by the collapse of Remington.

Tis my understanding that importing Russian made primers to this country is verboten by presidential decree.

Given the business opportunity , I do not understand why other foreign made primers are not reaching our shores.

Possibilities include IMI, Magtech, Sellier & Bellot, MEN, Armscor, Fiocchi, PMC.

Does anyone have a handle on why imported primers are few and far between?

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Last edited by RareBear; 01-30-2021 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-30-2021, 01:32 PM

I believe Remington is back up and running primers and ammo, or getting close.

What at home handloaders forget, we are nothing more than a pimple on a rump when compared to the ammunition manufacturers. The largest majority of components goes to ammo manufacturers. They may turn loose a bit just to keep folks from howling.

The ONLY company to my knowledge that ever made primers specifically for hand loaders was CCI. Components that were sold were over runs or war/government excess.

I would imagine there are some over seas primers trying to get here. That is what happened the last time. The powers to be saw this happen and have made importing tough to do, since then.

Who knows, there could be a train car load of primers sitting on docks held up for what ever reason. I have had a trigger held up at customs since 1/4/21 so who knows.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:48 AM

Wolf & S&B were good primers and cheap.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
Used to get SB primers at Cabelas for around 22 bucks on sale. Cabelas stopped selling them long before the current shortage.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:52 PM

Wasn't there some change in the ITAR and E.A.A. laws concerning gun parts and components, under Obama rule perhaps? Maybe some of our OZ and Canadian members can chime in. I know there are changes concerning having an export agent do the shipping, and the associated fees.
Old 02-03-2021, 02:19 PM

Default Primers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
As were Tula SRM primers. Fortunately, I bought several before the scarcity / huge price increase hit.

They seem to me to be very similar to the Rem 7 1/2 primers in use.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 02-03-2021, 10:11 PM

This shortage is a little different than "A Democrat in the Whitehouse". The pandemic is worldwide with many more than just Americans wanting to be prepared.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:47 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
This shortage is a little different than "A Democrat in the Whitehouse". The pandemic is worldwide with many more than just Americans wanting to be prepared.
...and Remington Ammunition is down....but maybe not much longer. Just noticed today that Vista Outdoor has the Remington Ammunition website listed, maybe product will be following close behind. It sure would be a large positive step in the right direction.

https://vistaoutdoor.com/brands/

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Last edited by RareBear; 02-05-2021 at 04:06 PM.